The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

So say's the forums chief economist. Have you told Volkswagen that they will no longer be able to sell 400,000 cars a year to the UK?

The chief economist was at the back of the queue, when common sense was being given out. :suspect:

The motor industry is second only to crude oil in World value of exports. The German Motor Industry is the World's largest exporter of motor vehicles and the UK just happens to be the German motor industry's biggest export market by volume.

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 10:51 ----------

Those who want Brexit and the following break down of the UK are the traitors here.

My choice is to not leave the EU so any MP who votes for it is betraying my democratic decision and should be sacked...

Over to you Mr Rant...

There is just one flaw in your logic and that is 'Leave' won the democratic referendum.

Edited by Gamston

The chief economist was at the back of the queue, when common sense was being given out. :suspect:

The motor industry is second only to crude oil in World value of exports. The German Motor Industry is the World's largest exporter of motor vehicles and the UK just happens to be the German motor industry's biggest export market by volume.

I'm fully aware of that. That's why I'm looking forward to several German car munufacturers setting up plants in the UK so that they can sell vehicles tariff free to UK buyers. What a boost for the UK steel industry.

The extra spin off for the Germans of course is that those manufacturers will be able to build cars in the UK and sell tariff free to all the countries in the world where the EU hasn't been able to set up a free trade deal because of objections from Walloonia. The UK of course is free to set up free trade deals with every country on the planet.

I'm fully aware of that. That's why I'm looking forward to several German car munufacturers setting up plants in the UK so that they can sell vehicles tariff free to UK buyers. What a boost for the UK steel industry.

The extra spin off for the Germans of course is that those manufacturers will be able to build cars in the UK and sell tariff free to all the countries in the world where the EU hasn't been able to set up a free trade deal because of objections from Walloonia. The UK of course is free to set up free trade deals with every country on the planet.

I don't think there is any doubt that tariff free trading regarding motor vehicles will continue between the EU and UK. UK negotiators are obviously going to use the motor industry as a bargaining chip for trade agreements in other sectors. As you say the UK, will be able set up free trade deals with which countries, it is our own interests to do so, which is one of the main benefits of our future freedom.

My mistake, my nephew. It`s a mistake I frequently make and my wife has to pick me up on it. And it`s my own immediate family I`m talking about in my signature. I`m surprised my sister didn`t put my nephew right on the £350 million thing but she probably thought he should be free to learn from his own mistakes.

A 2% swing, not 4%, would have given a different result, the 4% I`m referring to would be if they just hadn`t bothered voting, as opposed to voting the other way.

If the result had been 60/40 I think I`d have had rather more respect for the result. Partly, as I`ve said before, I could have accepted a large majority on a dishonest campaign, or a small majority on an honest campaign, but not a small majority on a dishonest campaign. But partly because we all know a significant number of people weren`t even voting on the EU directly, if it`d been 60/40 there`s more of a chance that a genuine majority would have been voting on that issue. Chance being the operative word.

* I`m not stupid enough to think the campaign affected the votes of even 50% of those who voted Leave, I`d say it was probably more like 25%

I've just seen this,so I didn't get back on it before.

No wonder your nephew/cousin is confused, he doesn't know whether you're his uncle or cousin. I hope he doesn't get Father Christmas mixed up with mother goose, or Uncle Sam mixed up with grandma Moses. I was going to say wish him merry Christmas from me but he might be opening his Easter egg thinking it's Whit Sunday.

Only kidding of course, and I do really mean happy Christmas to you and yours, as you haven't reverted to any of the vitriol that's been spouted on here by some others, and hope you can take this in the spirit that it's intended.

Happy Christmas to all forum members and moderators.

I don't think there is any doubt that tariff free trading regarding motor vehicles will continue between the EU and UK. UK negotiators are obviously going to use the motor industry as a bargaining chip for trade agreements in other sectors. As you say the UK, will be able set up free trade deals with which countries, it is our own interests to do so, which is one of the main benefits of our future freedom.

The benefit for the UK is that we will be able set up free trade deals with ALL the countries where such trade is beneficial for the UK, rather than have those deals vetoed because they aren't beneficial to a bunch of shrimp fishermen in Corsica.

It is fun though to see the bitter and twisted comments from the losers in the referendum who are absolutely desperate that the UK doesn't prosper outside the union. Sad innit?

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 11:33 ----------

Happy Christmas to all forum members and moderators.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So say's the forums chief economist. Have you told Volkswagen that they will no longer be able to sell 400,000 cars a year to the UK?

Of course they will be able to sell cars to the UK. The losers will not be VW, but the UK consumers.

Cars are big purchases and of the mid-range and premium brands, like basically most German-made models, the additional markup through tariffs won't really be noticed by the typical buyers. Finance/lease plans will be simply be reconfigured to cushion the blow. In the long run UK consumers will pay more but month on month costs won't change much. For those who buy outright the markup will make the cars even more premium and desirable.

VW have nothing to fear.

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 11:58 ----------

Which countries will we trade with that we don't already trade with?

Of course they will be able to sell cars to the UK. The losers will not be VW, but the UK consumers.

Cars are big purchases and of the mid-range and premium brands, like basically most German-made models, the additional markup through tariffs won't really be noticed by the typical buyers. Finance/lease plans will be simply be reconfigured to cushion the blow. In the long run UK consumers will pay more but month on month costs won't change much. For those who buy outright the markup will make the cars even more premium and desirable.

VW have nothing to fear

Now that's interesting, because you would have thought that if Mercedes thought that they could sell their cars for £5000 more they would be doing it already. You see when you make around £1000 profit selling a car adding £5000 means you make 6 times as much profit. You would have thought that would have occured to them. On the other hand it could just be you talking rubbish.

But the good news is that everyone in the UK who does buy a Mercedes will be contributing a big wad of cash to the tax man. Money that the government can spend on the NHS or other services. So either way it is a win win situation for the UK. :thumbsup:

Edited by hush

Which countries will we trade with that we don't already trade with?

There are no new countries to trade with. The point is the UK will be able to negotiate our own trade deals with countries outside the EU for our own benefit, rather than what happens at the moment, when the EU negotiates for all its members so called interests. For example at the moment, Brazil charge an average of 22% import duty on goods from the UK, because of our membership of the EU. When we leave the EU, then the UK can negotiate our own trading terms with Brazil to seek lower import duty on UK goods than the EU.