The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

But the UK can produce cars cheaper than the USA, Australia and Canada. Such countries don't set up free trade deals with India and Chinna as that would flood their markets with cars and put the local manufacturers out of business. Dut countries like Canada, Australia, USA, New Zealand will set up tariff free trade deals with countries like the UK where tariff free trade brings a market for their own goods. I think I mentioned Australian wine earlier.

So you're claiming the USA, Australia and Canada don't have free trade deals with India and China because they would sell cars more cheaply than home produced ones but will with the UK despite us producing cars more cheaply.

You've totally lost me here. If a customer is prepared to pay an extra £4000 for a car the manufacturer would already be charging £4000 more. If on the other hand you are a company looking to buy a £40,000 car and the choice is an Audi or a Jaguar, and the Audi goes up £4000 the choice lo longer needs making.

Cars made in the UK are not subject to a tariff if sold in the UK.

People don't buy Audis, BMWs and Mercs because of the price, they buy them because they are Audis, BMWs and Mercs. Let's face it, if price were the main consideration in people buying cars everyone would be driving round in Skodas and Dacias.

Cars sold in the UK in 2015: Audi 166,709, BMW 167,391, Mercedes-Benz 145,254, Jaguar 23,954. Even in its home market, Jaguar only sells 1/6th to 1/7th the level of its German competitors - it's not an effective competitor to them.

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 15:46 ----------

I suppose it boils down to whether they want to sell coffee to the UK without a 22% tariff on that.

Ford, Fiat, GM, Renault, Volkswagen and Audi all produce cars in Brazil. Still want a free trade deal with them?

What makes you think Brazil won't still impose a 22% tariff after we leave the EU? Where is the evidence?

Wake up and smell the coffee !!!

---------- Post added 24-12-2016 at 16:14 ----------

I suppose it boils down to whether they want to sell coffee to the UK without a 22% tariff on that.

Precisely ............

People don't buy Audis, BMWs and Mercs because of the price, they buy them because they are Audis, BMWs and Mercs. Let's face it, if price were the main consideration in people buying cars everyone would be driving round in Skodas and Dacias.

Cars sold in the UK in 2015: Audi 166,709, BMW 167,391, Mercedes-Benz 145,254, Jaguar 23,954. Even in its home market, Jaguar only sells 1/6th to 1/7th the level of its German competitors - it's not an effective competitor to them.

Actually for many years I was a partner in a motor retail business selling new cars. I seem to remember folk haggling down to the last penny. I have also worked in industry where we bought fleet cars and the price was key in the decision making process.

But I suppose if we find that our market still gets flooded with German cars after the tariffs are applied that is all to the good. It means the government is getting a massive boost in tax revenues and can keep sticking the rate up because folk think they are buying prestige cars and price doesn't matter.

Like you said Jaguar only sells 1/6th to 1/7th of its German competitors. Perhaps that price hike might just redress the balance in our favour. That must be why Jaguar LandRover has plans to double the factory's capacity.

Actually for many years I was a partner in a motor retail business selling new cars. I seem to remember folk haggling down to the last penny. I have also worked in industry where we bought fleet cars and the price was key in the decision making process.

If you're buying a new BMW, cost isn't the major consideration however much you haggle over the price. Unless you were selling them the cheapest range of cars on the market, it wasn't key for those fleet buyers either.

Where is the evidence?

That really is a silly question, because there are no guarantees about how successful any new trade deals will fair. The point is the UK will have more control about trade agreements, when we will be negotiating for ourselves, rather than being 1/28th of the EU. Brazil is struggling at the moment, but it is still in the top ten of World economies and is likely to become a bigger player in the future. I would be very surprised if the UK, being the World's fifth biggest economy can't achieve an improved trade agreement with Brazil.

The UK are leaving the EU and we should all be hoping we arrange better trade agreements with all countries outside the EU, regardless of how we voted in the referendum. It really is time moaning Remain voters, got behind our country and adopted an half full attitude, rather than a sulky half empty outlook.

The point is the UK will have more control about trade agreements, when we will be negotiating for ourselves, rather than being 1/28th of the EU. Brazil is struggling at the moment, but it is still in the top ten of World economies and is likely to become a bigger player in the future. I would be very surprised if the UK, being the World's fifth biggest economy can't achieve an improved trade agreement with Brazil.

What governs whether a country gets a good/bad trade deal?

Depending on which measure is used, the UK is either the 6th or 9th richest.

The UK imports relatively little from Brazil.

I believe our trade balance is getting worse.