The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

I'm not aware of any such conflation.

Most free trade deals are negotiated from a starting poisition of WTO rules. This one is coming from a starting poisition of unrestricted trade. That will make a big difference.

Like I said you haven't got a clue.

No country starts from a position of completely unrestricted trade. Why would they do that? Why?

As I said earlier we're at the business end now. The time for Brexiter fantasy is over.

Like I said you haven't got a clue.

No country starts from a position of completely unrestricted trade. Why would they do that? Why?

As I said earlier we're at the business end now. The time for Brexiter fantasy is over.

They would start from that position because that's where we are right now.

Why would you start from somewhere other than where you are?

Because their sole concern is businesses making money. Its an idealistic position, other countries are more pragmatic and have at least some trade tariffs.

You're mad, or in denial.

---------- Post added 06-01-2017 at 07:30 ----------

Stating the obvious, we are a net contributor to the EU budget.

That doesn't mean however that we're suddenly going to have £350 million/week to spend on the NHS though. Because the harm to our economy is going to cost us more than EU membership did.

My bold=

I never said or believed we were....:hihi:

According to the news today the Times reports that the UK has the worlds top economy in the 6 months after the referendum vote and the business activity hit a 17 month high.

A quote from the BBC:

"With disarming honesty, the Bank of England's chief economist, Andrew Haldane, has admitted that criticisms that economic forecasts had been wrong before the financial crisis and wrong about the immediate impact of a Brexit vote were a "fair cop".

The profession, he said, was facing a crisis of confidence."

Strange that isn't it.

This one is coming from a starting poisition of unrestricted trade. That will make a big difference.

The "unrestricted free trade" thing is from an economist called Patrick Minford who the Brexit people like to listen to. It certainly will make a difference - Minford says it will result in the "elimination" of manufacturing in the UK and a big increase in wage inequality!

There are all sorts of other problems with Minford's ideas - the LSE have published a good critique.

They would start from that position because that's where we are right now.

Why would you start from somewhere other than where you are?

No it simply isn't where we are now. We are in a free trade area which encompasses a customs union that extends to include some other countries. And the EU also has some free trade agreements with other countries still.

Free trade means in that respect means that we trade tariff-free with the EU and those other countries, but also the concept of free trade is much more than that. It also means trading on a level playing field and allows for rules and regulations that make sure that trade is not just tariff-free but also fair. EU Passporting rules for financial services is an example. They do not allow for unrestricted penetration of all UK financial services into other EU countries. Passporting is conditional.

No other country is going to have a starting position that allows other countries to just freely penetrate its markets at will. Countries will always look after their own self-interests. After all they have electorates, elections take place, and parties that pledge to open their entire economy for any other country to exploit simply won't get elected.

There is no major economy anywhere in the world that has unilaterally declared free trade. It's not going to happen with us either so stop fantasing.

The reality is that we will have to negotiate with each country separately once we leave, and that a major factor will be making sure that trade happens fairly. None of the parties in any such negotiation will volunteer to shoot their own foot off by unilaterally removing tariffs. And even when these deals come to fruition, maybe over the course of a decade or more, it is often the case that trade is never 100% free. Some sectors will be excluded. Others only partially opened up. Others subject to rules and special agreements.

What I've come to realise is that Brexiter talk is all bluster. Farage for example is completely light on details. He's not interested in details. Like you it seems.

It looks like one of the local remainers and and Tory donor has been trying to do some negotiating.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38540813

Sounds more like someone threatening to throw his toys out of his pram.

The UK can negotiate for continued tariff free trading, without being a member of the single market. The UK can negotiate to have access to the single market, without being a member of the single market.