The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

That can't be the only damaging tariff. If it is, great - May has sorted something.

WTO MFN tariffs average out at about 2%. But the auto tariffs are 10%. They're exceptional. I'm sure there's some protectionist political reason for this but the fact is that cars are anomalous in an otherwise very low tariff modern world.

We don't know what the tariff on EU/UK imports/exports of cars will be as this has yet to be even discussed properly by the PTB. The worst case is 10% and Nissan probably wanted assurances that the UK government was going to share their massive car import tariff bounty with the reciprocally suffering car exporters in the UK.

In other news Apple has put its prices up for computers and typhoo is putting its prices up - the latter because of sterling. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37799701

Yes well they're imports and it was bound to happen.

Edited by unbeliever

WTO MFN tariffs average out at about 2%. But the auto tariffs are 10%. They're exceptional. I'm sure there's some protectionist political reason for this but the fact is that cars are anomalous in an otherwise very low tariff modern world.

We don't know what the tariff on EU/UK imports/exports of cars will be as this has yet to be even discussed properly by the PTB. The worst case is 10% and Nissan probably wanted assurances that the UK government was going to share their massive car import tariff bounty with the reciprocally suffering car exporters in the UK.

Yes well they're imports and it was bound to happen.

Fair enough. I think the tariffs we pay are nearer 8% but we're niche - and I thought clothing was higher but I'll check.

Anyway - when Nissan "move" the cars abroad, are they "selling" them to say, Nissan France, or Nissan USA. If that is the case, will the drop in sterling help them any? I don't know how it works.

In other news Apple has put its prices up for computers . . .

Wow, Apple hiking their prices by £80 for the cheapest Mac Mini, a couple of hundred extra for the basic iMac and MacBooks and up to a £500 increase for the 2013 Mac Pro.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/10/28/apple-raises-mac-prices-across-the-board-in-uk-following-brexit-currency-impact-outdated-mac-pro-now-500-more/

My IT supplier had informed me last week that most other hardware and software manufacturers were gonna jack their prices up by 10% in November; I just hope that £6000 order I submitted earlier this week goes through before the deadline.

Fair enough. I think the tariffs we pay are nearer 8% but we're niche - and I thought clothing was higher but I'll check.

Anyway - when Nissan "move" the cars abroad, are they "selling" them to say, Nissan France, or Nissan USA. If that is the case, will the drop in sterling help them any? I don't know how it works.

Oh yes, exporters are saving far more due to the fall in Sterling that they're due to pay in 2 years and change in tariffs. But it's likely that Sterling will recover as the plans for the UK's future trading relationship firms up and Nissan need to plan more than 2 and a half years ahead.