The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

It's irrelevant about the margin of victory. The Leave won and they rightly should have the victory spoils, including the end of free movement.

The leave campaign won, so we should leave Europe, the exact terms of leaving weren't part of the vote, so they need to be settled now to suit as many people as possible, not just a minority of hardline brexiteers.

That's not what Mr Farage said. ;)

Yes, Nigel Farage would have been a sore loser. He demonstrated that shortly after polling had closed, when it was predicted that Remain had won.

---------- Post added 10-01-2017 at 09:00 ----------

The leave campaign won, so we should leave Europe, the exact terms of leaving weren't part of the vote, so they need to be settled now to suit as many people as possible, not just a minority of hardline brexiteers.

'Hardline brexiteers' is a made up term, in an attempt to move the goalposts after the referendum result. There is only one BREXIT and that is complete BREXIT. The UK would not be completely leaving the EU, if free movement of people continued, in order for the UK to have future access to the single market.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/05/chief-economist-of-bank-of-england-admits-errors

And the BoE admits it can't predict a sunrise.

Can we please now stop talking about experts' predictions as if they're facts. Meteorologists can't make medium-term predictions either. That doesn't make them stupid, it's a limitation of the science itself. Difference is that they know it.

'Hardline brexiteers' is a made up term, in an attempt to move the goalposts after the referendum result. There is only one BREXIT and that is complete BREXIT. The UK would not be completely leaving the EU, if free movement of people continued, in order for the UK to have future access to the single market.

Freedom of movement could cease, and we could still let in every Tom, Dick and Mary.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/05/chief-economist-of-bank-of-england-admits-errors

And the BoE admits it can't predict a sunrise.

Can we please now stop talking about experts' predictions as if they're facts. Meteorologists can't make medium-term predictions either. That doesn't make them stupid, it's a limitation of the science itself. Difference is that they know it.

Most predictions were done for scaremongering or bullying.

One fact is that the pound has dropped by 12%, most company's will have hedged which normally is good for 6-12 month's. So this year we should see the first moves of the effects of the brexit vote. If an expert were to calculate the loss just of the exchange rate the contribution you paid of £350 million p.w. is chicken feed. I can remember Harold Wilson telling us not to worry when the pund was devalued by 15%, the pound is still the same pound in your pocket, they just forgot to tell us it was worth far less.

Most predictions were done for scaremongering or bullying.

One fact is that the pound has dropped by 12%, most company's will have hedged which normally is good for 6-12 month's. So this year we should see the first moves of the effects of the brexit vote. If an expert were to calculate the loss just of the exchange rate the contribution you paid of £350 million p.w. is chicken feed. I can remember Harold Wilson telling us not to worry when the pund was devalued by 15%, the pound is still the same pound in your pocket, they just forgot to tell us it was worth far less.

Which is why you never keep all your money in the form of a single fiat currency.

There is only one BREXIT and that is complete BREXIT.
I'm confident that is exactly what Ms May believes, Gamston, with such pearls as:

The Prime Minister insisted she will be able to secure control over immigration to the UK as well as favourable trading terms with the European Union during Brexit negotiations.

<...>

“Anybody who looks at this question of free movement and trade as a sort of zero sum game is approaching it in the wrong way.

“I'm ambitious for what we can get for the UK in terms of our relationship with the European Union because I also think that's going to be good for the European Union.

“Our thinking on this isn't muddled at all.

so you can sleep easy :thumbsup:

The UK Government wants favourable trading terms with none of the conditions that come with it.

As previously posted many times, my guess is that at the first meeting where this is discussed, most likely the first meeting after Article 50 is triggered, the EU will lay out its position, and afterwards it will forever be the big bad EU that doesn't want to compromise (a.k.a. let the UK have its cake and eating it). Hey-ho.

It's like Theresa May forgot that David Cameron went to the EU when the UK was still in the EU, to ask for the same things that she will ask for, and got very little back but somehow she will deliver.

I absolutely can't wait for the general discomfiture and the associated fireworks. My guess is that it will start after the Supreme Court hands down its judgement later this month :D

I'm confident that is exactly what Ms May believes, Gamston, with such pearls as:

so you can sleep easy :thumbsup:

The UK Government wants favourable trading terms with none of the conditions that come with it.

As previously posted many times, my guess is that at the first meeting where this is discussed, most likely the first meeting after Article 50 is triggered, the EU will lay out its position, and afterwards it will forever be the big bad EU that doesn't want to compromise (a.k.a. let the UK have its cake and eating it). Hey-ho.

It's like Theresa May forgot that David Cameron went to the EU when the UK was still in the EU, to ask for the same things that she will ask for, and got very little back but somehow she will deliver.

I absolutely can't wait for the general discomfiture and the associated fireworks. My guess is that it will start after the Supreme Court hands down its judgement later this month :D

You are operating under the illusion that the EU holds all the cards and furthermore that they will self-harm for political reasons.

You are operating under the illusion that the EU holds all the cards and furthermore that they will self-harm for political reasons.
I'm opining under the common sense position that the EU holds more cards and that if they do indeed end up having to self-harm for political reasons, this will still pale into insignificance compared to the UK's own dose of self-harming for political reasons.

So far, only the UK has claimed itself ready and willing to tank its national economy for the sake of cutting immigration, and has tanked its currency by 15+% through political positioning alone. That's looking at bare facts, nothing interpretative about it.

Edited by L00b