The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

The issue of Britain's membership of the EU will never be settled. Nothing is set in stone. One parliament cannot bind another. There will be a Labour government again one day, or a pro European Conservative one, and it will probably want to take us back in.

The issue of Britain's membership of the EU will never be settled. Nothing is set in stone. One parliament cannot bind another. There will be a Labour government again one day, or a pro European Conservative one, and it will probably want to take us back in.

And each time it changes we have uncertainty and disruption. I truly hope that once Brexit is done (if it does actually happen!) that it stays that way until something drastically changes. Otherwise we are simply going to lurch from one economic crisis to another.

And do you really think, ALL the remaining EU members, would vote to allow the UK to re-join the EU any time soon ?

And do you really think, ALL the remaining EU members, would vote to allow the UK to re-join the EU any time soon ?

If it was in their interests to do so, of course they would. Even the French aren't that petty, nearly mind you but not quite. A lot of the arguments from the Brexit campaign was around how the EU needed us more than we needed them (paraphrasing), so if that indeed pans out and the EU is hurting economically as a result then they would welcome us back in with open arms. However, I suspect that the EU will carry on mostly unaffected and it'll be us that are crying to be let back into the party and rightly refused.

If it was in their interests to do so, of course they would. Even the French aren't that petty, nearly mind you but not quite. A lot of the arguments from the Brexit campaign was around how the EU needed us more than we needed them (paraphrasing), so if that indeed pans out and the EU is hurting economically as a result then they would welcome us back in with open arms. However, I suspect that the EU will carry on mostly unaffected and it'll be us that are crying to be let back into the party and rightly refused.

The French never really wanted the UK join the EEC in the first place.

There's never been any doubt,the rest of the EU and all the UK just want to know exactly how they are going to leave.
Indeed as, whenever the simple-minded rethoric spouters can stay quiet for a minute or two, there's some real-life headaches and hard thinking to get to grips with.

And by the sounds of her speech, it doesn't look like many in Westminster have been considering them much so far. It's a comprehensive tick-list of vapourware which sounds nice on delivery, I'll give her that :)

Out means out then.

I thought the speach was Ok, firm in certain areas (indeed ballsy) pragmatic in others. I caught some of the questions from the press afterwards - very poor. Laura Kuenssberg came across as a bit of bitchy 16 year old and I'm normally a fan.

What the EU makes of it all is another thing entirely. The markets, very short term at least, seem OK with it.