The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

I think you'll find that word is still awaited from the Supreme Court about that. Then word shall be awaited from Parliament about it.

Don't worry though, even if the March timescale gets overshot, it'll still be triggered sometime this year. May is playing that clock for all it's worth: once it's triggered, the clock starts playing for the EU :D

My guess is Mrs May timed her speech before the Supreme Court decision and showed great leadership qualities in doing so.

I am not worried and have no worries if you cant appreciate, it would be in everyone's interest to get formal negotiations started sooner rather than later.

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 10:10 ----------

Had a beer with an old mate last week,he voted Brexit,he says he wish he'd have voted remain now as he was lied to.Wonder how many more feel that way.

Who lied to him ?

A brake is still accepting freedom of movement, it just stops or slows it for a specified time then resumes. If you remember Cameron got this and it was rejected because the electorate saw through this fop that was offered. If he had come back with a proper immigration control, such as no entry without a job and no benefits until paid in for 3 years then I as an ardent brexiter would probably have voted to stay. The EU did not believe he would leave the eu and treated him with contempt. I back the PM in her stance and hope she does well for us.

Panzer1, why do you want to lower immigration? I'm not going to jump on your and accuse you of racism no matter your answer, just most people who have voted for Brexit because of immigration think that lower immigration will mean they are better off financially somehow. Noone has managed to explain how though.

Well yes, actually being like the Irish on tax matters is indeed wrong.

I'm unconvinced. Progressive taxation on income is right. Flat rates of tax on company profits are ultimately paid by the consumer regardless of income just like VAT.

I missed that one, sgtkate.

Have you ever lived there for any length of time, unbeliever?

Ran a household, cars, put a kid through nursery <etc.>?

Availed of their 'public services'?

Experienced their public healthcare 'system'?

Paid (income, VRT, road, bin, <...>) taxes there?

<...>

Methinks you should. Or at least inform yourself about the above somewhat, rather than stick to the headline-grabbing (but meaningless to Joe Public) corpo tax rate. Before holding them out as a potential example/alternative to follow.

I'm not pushing for this. I was responding to the suggesting that cutting tax rates would make us "like Panama" using a friendlier example from close to home.

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 10:23 ----------

You realise that the Irish have been giving illegal tax benefits to large corporations?

"Illegal"? Under who's authority are they illegal? Is Ireland not sovereign? Is the law of Ireland not determined by the Oireachtas?

I'm unconvinced. Progressive taxation on income is right. Flat rates of tax on company profits are ultimately paid by the consumer regardless of income just like VAT.

Neither of those things are a problem, it's the rates that are when corporations are effectively propped up by the taxes of the population making everyday life INSANELY expensive (friends who work for Google and Microsoft who have jobs of a lifetime yet are about to quit because even on their exorbitant salaries they can barely afford childcare) that's wrong. The ONLY reason Google et al are based in Ireland is because of the low corp tax and as a result it has utterly screwed the majority of Irish over.

My guess is Mrs May timed her speech before the Supreme Court decision and showed great leadership qualities in doing so.

I am not worried and have no worries if you cant appreciate, it would be in everyone's interest to get formal negotiations started sooner rather than later.

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 10:10 ----------

Who lied to him ?

Boris,Nigel and Michael to say a few.

I'm not pushing for this. I was responding to the suggesting that cutting tax rates would make us "like Panama" using a friendlier example from close to home.

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 10:23 ----------

"Illegal"? Under who's authority are they illegal? Is Ireland not sovereign? Is the law of Ireland not determined by the Oireachtas?

It's not the tax rate per se that's the issue, its that private companies are effectively being subsidised by the government that puts then in breach of EU rules. So thank heavens we are leaving so we too can divert public funds into the coffers of companies that our MPs miraculously and by sheer coincidence are major shareholders in!

Neither of those things are a problem, it's the rates that are when corporations are effectively propped up by the taxes of the population making everyday life INSANELY expensive (friends who work for Google and Microsoft who have jobs of a lifetime yet are about to quit because even on their exorbitant salaries they can barely afford childcare) that's wrong. The ONLY reason Google et al are based in Ireland is because of the low corp tax and as a result it has utterly screwed the majority of Irish over.

Surely the rates are still above zero, and all the people employed at these companies in the republic are paying income taxes and all manner of other taxes out of their salaries from these corporations. How is anybody propping up these corporations?

Nowhere in the referendum did we vote for an end to free movement. The leave campaign repeated multiple times that we would continue to be part of the single market.

They lied, they knew they were lying, you don't care that they were lying and seem to be enjoying this movement towards our economy collapsing.

Tell me, are you retired or independently rich, because if not you'll end up regretting it.

Being part of the free movement was a consequence of the UK's membership of the EU. The UK voted to leave the EU. It was made perfectly clear before the EU referendum vote, that there was no guarantee that the UK would gain access to the single market on our terms, after leaving the EU. Official trade negotiations have not started yet and tariff free trade agreements can still be negotiated. If tariffs are introduced, then that was always a possibility as a consequence of leaving the EU.

You have no idea what the long term economic future will be for the UK as a consequence of the UK leaving the EU, so you are in no position to predict if any one will have any regrets, regardless of whether they are retired or wealthy. It was not about pounds, shillings and pence when I voted to leave the EU, so I will have no regrets when the UK leaves the EU, because it is what I voted for.