The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

Some ominous sounds coming out of Davos, after yesterday's speech.

Gulliver (HSBC) has now confirmed the shifting of its 1,000 EU traders from London to Paris by 2019, with more to come.

Britain's financial services sector will accelerate plans to move some business overseas after Prime Minister Theresa May said on Tuesday the country will quit the European Union's single market.

<...>

"The worst case now seems to be the base case," a senior executive at one major global bank said after May's speech, adding that contingency planning would continue apace.

May will meet the heads of several big players, including Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan CEOs Lloyd Blankfein and Jamie Dimon, at the World Economic Forum in Davos for private talks on Thursday.

She faces an uphill struggle to persuade them not to shift some operations given Britain's exit from the single market almost certainly means banks will lose "passporting" rights which enable them to sell products across the EU from their European hubs in London.

It'll be interesting to observe how May behaves from Friday onwards.

The bus slogan said "we give £350 million to the EU, Lets fund the NHS instead"

It didn't say let's give £350 million to the NHS or state how much we should give the NHS so why do remainers keep using this in their attacks on the leavers?

Anybody who read it as £350 million would go to the NHS is at fault for making stupid assumptions.

It didn't say let's give £350 million to the NHS or state how much we should give the NHS so why do remainers keep using this in their attacks on the leavers?

Anybody who read it as £350 million would go to the NHS is at fault for making stupid assumptions.

Two points.

It`s misleading at best.

You`d be surprised at how many people took it as an extra £350 million to the NHS. There are a lot of people who don`t actually know that much about politics. I include readers of the Daily Mail and Daily Express in that.

I'm afraid it's a bit worse than that.

We don't actually give them £350million per week because there is a rebate of £100million per week. That £100million out of the £350 million doesn't go out and then come back. It never moves a single inch.

Now if they'd said £250million per week I'd be happy to defend them.

Gisela says that we don't have control of this £100million because the EU can refuse to renew the rebate after the 7 year period is up in (I think) 2 years. That's a very weak argument by any reasonable standard.

If we stopped stupid people voting the turnout would be much much lower.

If the Leave Campaign were selling products then they could be prosecuted under consumer protection legislation for their (intentionally) misleading statements.

Very sad.

As would the remain campaign. Difference is that they (or at least Open Britain and others) are still doing it now.

As would the remain campaign. Difference is that they (or at least Open Britain and others) are still doing it now.

Oh come on, even Theresa May is doing it, I should say still doing it. Saying she`s hoping to get free trade with the EU without any cost to the UK. The fact is only an idiot, or someone who is deluded, would think we`d get a deal as good as we had as EU members. And to be honest, I`d agree with the EU taking that stance, fairness dictates that should happen, quite apart from any considerations about giving other members the chance to think they could get the same deal.

I`d love to know what Nissan are thinking now, and how much the UK Govt may have to pay them............

Oh come on, even Theresa May is doing it, I should say still doing it. Saying she`s hoping to get free trade with the EU without any cost to the UK. The fact is only an idiot, or someone who is deluded, would think we`d get a deal as good as we had as EU members. And to be honest, I`d agree with the EU taking that stance, fairness dictates that should happen, quite apart from any considerations about giving other members the chance to think they could get the same deal.

I`d love to know what Nissan are thinking now, and how much the UK Govt may have to pay them............

Not sure why you quoted me in this post.