The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

Love Europe's response to Mrs May-not's speech..

She is acting like a 2ft 6" bully - threatening with nothing to back the threats up (except the ruination of the UK) and a buffoon who makes off-colour and unfunny references to "World War Two" movies.

---------------------------------------------------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38658998

A "catalogue of demands with some threats thrown in" is German news magazine Der Spiegel's description of Theresa May's Brexit speech. It says that her desire to leave the single market while retaining access to trade with Europe shows that her government is "not just nasty but also blind to reality".

Germany's Die Welt also mocks her with the headline "Little Britain" and accuses her of leading the country into "isolation".

In Italy, La Repubblica's front page reads "Brexit: London raises its wall 'away from the EU and the single market'".

France's Liberation remarks that Mrs May's comment that no deal is better than a bad one suggests that she is threatening to turn Britain into a tax haven. "If this is not blackmail, it looks a lot like it," it says.

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 19:20 ----------

I see that the banks are planning on moving over 2000 people to Paris.

-----------------

I also see that she is throwing democracy out of the window...

"The government has insisted neither a pending Supreme Court judgement nor the political upheaval in Northern Ireland will delay its timetable."

I will listen to you and then ignore you...

She really is a cheat and a traitor.

Right, sure. Whatever you say. :loopy:

Obeying referendum results is soooo undemocratic.

At PMQ's today, she was hopeless. it was as if she was in some kind of a trance.

Her answers were meaningless drivel as was her speech yesterday.

I thought Cameron was crap, but she seems determined to outdo him.

If she is the best the tories have got, then we seem to be leaderless.

Hmm. Most of the journalists who write about such things seem to disagree with you.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/18/jeremy-corbyn-theresa-may-brexit-pmqs-irony-lady

https://www.theguardian.com/global/blog/2017/jan/18/pmqs-verdict-may-sees-off-corbyn-over-brexit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/18/pmqs-showed-brexit-killing-labour/

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/18/tories-pmqs-corbyn-opposition-brexit-theresa-may

I guess they're all biased.

To be honest, after all the crap hurled from europe since the referendum (and it continues) I think she was right to go hard. Tip toeing (which was what she had done previously) hasnt worked. We've not had much respect (was there much to start with?) since, more threats than anything.

I wanted to remain but deep down Im not sure alot of europe wanted us to.

Right, sure. Whatever you say. :loopy:

Obeying referendum results is soooo undemocratic.

But ignoring the law of the land is democratic?

You are so full of contradictions and willing to ignore whatever doesn't align with your opinions, I bet you voted to leave!

Oh come on, even Theresa May is doing it, I should say still doing it. Saying she`s hoping to get free trade with the EU without any cost to the UK. The fact is only an idiot, or someone who is deluded, would think we`d get a deal as good as we had as EU members. And to be honest, I`d agree with the EU taking that stance, fairness dictates that should happen, quite apart from any considerations about giving other members the chance to think they could get the same deal.

I`d love to know what Nissan are thinking now, and how much the UK Govt may have to pay them............

Nissan are probably thinking, that the most likely outcome of BREXIT negotiations, is that Zero tariffs will continue for the motor industry.

May is getting on with it (contrary to what her critics were saying, to the effect that she didn't have a plan or a clue).

We are heading towards a PFB, not a phoney, soft, 'neither in nor out' Brexit.

If things work out (as they may well do, despite some difficulties on the way) Brexiteers will no doubt be celebrating the achievement of PFB in 2019 with a PFL!

She's not got much choice but to choose that option if she wants to win the next election,which of course is most important for her party,any less and UKIP would be at them again and taking more seats.The Tories are a prisoner of the UK electorate now,bound to carry out their wish,or else risk a beating at the next election,and it serves a dual purpose by ending the long standing argument over the EU in her party,if there's no EU there's nothing to argue about,it's a win win situation,because if Brexit did turn sour,at the next election,the Tories can counter the only effective opposition,UKIP,by saying that Brexit and out of the single market was what they wanted too...........and it doesn't even matter that if Brexit is such a brilliant idea,why didn't the Tories include it in their last election manifesto instead of just a promise of a referendum?

France's Liberation remarks that Mrs May's comment that no deal is better than a bad one suggests that she is threatening to turn Britain into a tax haven. "If this is not blackmail, it looks a lot like it," it says.

if she was to do this then who is actually being blackmailed and over what?

to go down this route means the deal on offer is worse than the wto rules, which is difficult to imagine and the eu can't offer anyway since wto rules prevent it from offering a deal worse than wto rules.

even if we did, then anyone setting up shop here with a view of trading goods into the eu wil have to do so on wto rules which is going to nullify any savings from being a tax haven.

to setup shop with a view to trade with the rest of the world just makes us europe's sweatshop

either way, tax income would collapse which would limit the amount to be invested in the welfare state, nhs, pensions etc, and as both her and her chancellor have said they would abandon europe's social model it suggests that employment and probably environmental protections will pretty much be scrapped.

it would appear that every citizen, not just eu ones, is now a barganing chip since her message to the EU seems to be "if you dont give me a good deal, I'm going to punish every citizen of the UK".

But ignoring the law of the land is democratic?

You are so full of contradictions and willing to ignore whatever doesn't align with your opinions, I bet you voted to leave!

Okay so you've not bothered to read any of this thread or the other Brexit discussions.

The law of the land is determined by parliament and not the courts. That's the UK constitution. How is anybody ignoring the law.

If the supreme court demands a vote in parliament to approve the article 50 trigger there will be a 1 line bill to that effect and it will pass easily. Most MPs understand their duty however they campaigned in the referendum.

To be honest, after all the crap hurled from europe since the referendum (and it continues) I think she was right to go hard. Tip toeing (which was what she had done previously) hasnt worked. We've not had much respect (was there much to start with?) since, more threats than anything.

I thought that she was delaying because she didnt know what to do!!

If it manages to get through the House of Commons, it may not get through the House of Lords; so the best thing to do was to have a legally binding referendum.

It still might happen.

Should the UK stay in the EU or

Should the UK leave the EU, the single market and introduce visas

I thought that she was delaying because she didnt know what to do!!

If it manages to get through the House of Commons, it may not get through the House of Lords; so the best thing to do was to have a legally binding referendum.

It still might happen.

Should the UK stay in the EU or

Should the UK leave the EU, the single market and introduce visas

If the Lords dare to resist the will of the people it will be the end of them.

It's about time we had an elected second chamber anyway.