The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

if she was to do this then who is actually being blackmailed and over what?

to go down this route means the deal on offer is worse than the wto rules, which is difficult to imagine and the eu can't offer anyway since wto rules prevent it from offering a deal worse than wto rules.

even if we did, then anyone setting up shop here with a view of trading goods into the eu wil have to do so on wto rules which is going to nullify any savings from being a tax haven.

to setup shop with a view to trade with the rest of the world just makes us europe's sweatshop

either way, tax income would collapse which would limit the amount to be invested in the welfare state, nhs, pensions etc, and as both her and her chancellor have said they would abandon europe's social model it suggests that employment and probably environmental protections will pretty much be scrapped.

it would appear that every citizen, not just eu ones, is now a barganing chip since her message to the EU seems to be "if you dont give me a good deal, I'm going to punish every citizen of the UK".

Why would a tax haven automatically mean a sweat shop? It could head offices or nothing more than a PO box like alot of the big boyss do in luxemburg and Jersey (are they sweat shops?). Holland and Ireland dont have high corporation tax rates either, we just need to be a bit below them - and why not?

If we close ALL the loopholes and drop our corporation tax and we might, MIGHT see an upswing in tax revenue. Lets face it, a large chunk of big corporations use tax havens now or enough flimflamming and loop holes to pay as little as possible anyway. If we start negotiations not wanting much, do you think the EU will go "yeah, thats sounds fair" or do you think theyll want to hammer it down further?

If the Lords dare to resist the will of the people it will be the end of them.

It's about time we had an elected second chamber anyway.

The Parliament of 2010-15 saw an attempt by the Liberal Democrats to reform the House of Lords and, by the Conservatives, to reduce the number of MPs to 600 via a shake-up of constituency boundaries.

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 20:11 ----------

The consensus in the press was that May rather demolished her critics in todays PMQs. I tend to agree.

But what do unbiased people think?

The Parliament of 2010-15 saw an attempt by the Liberal Democrats to reform the House of Lords and, by the Conservatives, to reduce the number of MPs to 600 via a shake-up of constituency boundaries.

The Conservatives were not in favour at the time. I was but I'm not an MP.

See what happens if the Lords frustrate them (the Conservatives) on Brexit.

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 20:12 ----------

But what do unbiased people think?

i don't know, but when the full spectrum of the press is saying the same thing, I can't see them saying anything different.

If the Lords dare to resist the will of the people it will be the end of them.

It's about time we had an elected second chamber anyway.

possibly

but it's unlikely that the lords would oppose, beyond possibly making a symbolic stand and even if it was a real stand the government would use the parliament act to force it through.

possibly

but it's unlikely that the lords would oppose, beyond possibly making a symbolic stand and even if it was a real stand the government would use the parliament act to force it through.

If the commons have to use the parliament act to force through an enabling act for article 50, they'll miss the deadline they've set themselves of activating in Q1 of 2017. The lords can expect seem payback for that.

But I suspect that they already know this and, as you suggest, they'll make a gesture and then let it through.

This is all assuming that the Supreme court abandons hundreds of years of UK constitutional convention and says that parliament has to vote on acting on the referendum which it already voted to hold.

Lady Wheatcroft told the Times: "If it comes to a Bill, I think the Lords might actually delay things. I think there's a majority in the Lords for remaining.”

Asked whether she would back a move by peers to delay Brexit legislation, she said: “Yes I would.

“I would hope, while we delayed things that there would be sufficient movement in the EU to justify putting it to the electorate, either through a general election or a second referendum.”