The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

We can't start negotiating any free trade deal until we leave the EU. At that point it's WTO or customs union membership in the interim. The free trade deal will take years to negotiate from that point.

Nissan has been told that it won't be impacted by tariffs. A customs union is the only viable way to achieve that in the medium term.

At least hard Brexit is off the agenda. Thank goodness.

No. Nissan has been told that the government will try hard for an absence of tariffs affecting cars.

Your opinion that a customs union is the only viable way is not ridiculous but I do not agree with it. If the government agree with me and not with you then hard Brexit is still very much on the table.

No. Nissan has been told that the government will try hard for an absence of tariffs affecting cars.

Your opinion that a customs union is the only viable way is not ridiculous but I do not agree with it. If the government agree with me and not with you then hard Brexit is still very much on the table.

You need to listen to what Greg Clark said on the Andrew Marr show. It's clear that the government is seeking some form of customs union, and clear that is what Nissan has been told.

This could end up being the softest of Brexits.

You need to listen to what Greg Clark said on the Andrew Marr show. It's clear that the government is seeking some form of customs union, and clear that is what Nissan has been told.

I was watching it. I do not remotely share your interpretation. The first thing with the EU would agree to in a free trade deal would be no car tariffs as it benefits them more than us. He didn't say there there would be no such tariffs, just that the government were intent pursuing such an arrangement.

The EU would have to have been hit very hard on the head to have an issue with reduced or zero car tariffs.

Neither of us really know. It's likely that the government would seriously consider temporary continuing membership of the customs union as a bridging measure, when and if it comes to the end of the article 50 negotiations and such an offer is on the table. But we really have no idea what the balance of opinion is within cabinet.

Oh and the beginning 2 year negotiating period is when we start working on the free trade agreement, not the end. Don't know where you got the idea it was the end.

Edited by unbeliever

His interview didn't leave me with that impression.

I was watching it. I do not remotely share your interpretation. The first thing with the EU would agree to in a free trade deal would be no car tariffs as it benefits them more than us. He didn't say there there would be no such tariffs, just that the government were intent pursuing such an arrangement.

The EU would have to have been hit very hard on the head to have an issue with reduced or zero car tariffs.

Neither of us really know. It's likely that the government would seriously consider temporary continuing membership of the customs union as a bridging measure, when and if it comes to the end of the article 50 negotiations and such an offer is on the table. But we really have no idea what the balance of opinion is within cabinet.

Oh and the beginning 2 year negotiating period is when we start working on the free trade agreement, not the end. Don't know where you got the idea it was the end.

From the EU trade commissioner. Made very clear very quickly after the referendum:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36678222

The exit process is not for negotiating trade deals.

---------- Post added 30-10-2016 at 19:12 ----------

His interview didn't leave me with that impression.

Then what do you think he was saying? In what circumstances do you think Nissan would be content to stay? You don't even have to read between the lines. To me this is starting to look something quite similar to the Swiss model.

It's been made clear today that Nissan was told to expect to be trading tariff free with the EU after Brexit. A free trade deal can't be negotiated until after we leave. Options:

1. Stay in the EU

2. Customs union, at least in the interim while deals are negotiated.

3. Hard Brexit, WTO rules, the government subsidising Nissan

Option 3 :loopy: :loopy:

All those free market, free trade idealogues are going to be happy with state subsidies for every exporter on an open-ended basis while trade deals are negotiated? Really?

From the EU trade commissioner. Made very clear very quickly after the referendum:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36678222

The exit process is not for negotiating trade deals.

---------- Post added 30-10-2016 at 19:12 ----------

Then what do you think he was saying? In what circumstances do you think Nissan would be content to stay? You don't even have to read between the lines. To me this is starting to look something quite similar to the Swiss model.

It's been made clear today that Nissan was told to expect to be trading tariff free with the EU after Brexit. A free trade deal can't be negotiated until after we leave. Options:

1. Stay in the EU

2. Customs union, at least in the interim while deals are negotiated.

3. Hard Brexit, WTO rules, the government subsidising Nissan

Option 3 :loopy: :loopy:

All those free market, free trade idealogues are going to be happy with state subsidies for every exporter on an open-ended basis while trade deals are negotiated? Really?

There is nothing to stop the UK negotiating trade deals with third countries during the two years. They just cannot be concluded.

There is nothing to stop the UK negotiating trade deals with third countries during the two years. They just cannot be concluded.

I thought that the rules of the EU (which we will still be part of) means that we cannot negotiate our own trade deals until we are no longer part of the EU.

I thought that the rules of the EU (which we will still be part of) means that we cannot negotiate our own trade deals until we are no longer part of the EU.

Nothing to stop us negotiating with third countries just we cannot sign on the dotted line as it were.