The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

We should not take any notice of day to day changes, but instead look at the long term. Sterling is low and UK shares are low, even though low sterling can stimulate share prices.

It is either poor policies from our Government, or Brexit, that are having a negative effect, take your pick.

Is the FTSE 250 performing that badly? It was under 6,000 during the financial crisis, now it's above 17,000.

Is the FTSE 250 performing that badly? It was under 6,000 during the financial crisis, now it's above 17,000.

In May 2015 it was 18,192

I am sure there are other indicators of the UK economy, but the FTSE 250 is negative for the UKs performance over the past 17 months.

In May 2015 it was 18,192

I am sure there are other indicators of the UK economy, but the FTSE 250 is negative for the UKs performance over the past 17 months.

But the Brexit vote was only in June of this year. In February 2015 the FTSE 250 was under 15,500, so the FTSE 250 is higher now than it was a few months before the vote. Indeed, it was over 18,342 in October 4th of this year.

That doesn't suggest to me that we've had a negative performance over 17 months.. I don't think there has been a particularly strong trend one way or the other.

That doesn't suggest to me that we've had a negative performance over 17 months.. I don't think there has been a particularly strong trend one way or the other.

I am glad we agree ;) no strong trends, just a negative over the past year or so.

I am glad we agree ;) no strong trends, just a negative over the past year or so.

Actually slightly positive over the last year - 17,117.21 by close of play Oct 30th 2015, currently 17,560 or so.

Slightly negative trend if you compare todays figure to the (almost) highest ever figure in May 2015, but choosing the highest figure to compare todays figure to would be rather disingenuous.

There has been a very positive trend since the end of June (when it was under 15,000) but as that was just after the vote any comparison would be equally disingenuous.

This is your game. It's called "Cherry picking" and you started it.

Then I am pleased u are not playing ;)

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 13:12 ----------

My game? I'm not the one trying to infer something by cherry picking figures to suit.

I picked the logical high point, and compared that with today, I used the same criteria about a month ago.