The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

Well they've done it. The BoE have changed their near enough meaningless growth prediction for 2017 from 1.4% to 2%.

Whilst it's nice to finally have the economic experts from project fear doing a mea culpa, I strongly suggest that we remember this time and treat all economic growth predictions with the enormous scepticism they deserve.

It's not the economists are stupid. It's that they're practising a soft science and don't seem aware of its limitations.

Edited by unbeliever

Well they done it. The BoE have changed their near enough meaningless growth prediction for 2017 from 1.4% to 2%.

Whilst it's nice to finally have the economic experts from project fear doing a mea culpa, I strongly suggest that we remember this time and treat all economic growth predictions with the enormous scepticism they deserve.

It's not the economists are stupid. It's that they're practising a soft science and don't seem aware of its limitations.

So you can calm down now.

We will live in glorious sunlit meadows forever.

No houses or industry, but plenty of grass to eat.

So you can calm down now.

We will live in glorious sunlit meadows forever.

No houses or industry, but plenty of grass to eat.

You know if you cooked those mushrooms before you ate them you're technically breaking the law.

---------- Post added 02-02-2017 at 17:50 ----------

Perhaps the time has come for the matter of economic forecasting to be taken out of the hands of the BoE, IMF and Treasury and handed over to somebody with a better track record.

I wonder if that octopus from the world cup is available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus

Or we could find one of those old ladies who read entrails, or palms or tea-leaves and such.

Edited by unbeliever

You know if you cooked those mushrooms before you ate them you're technically breaking the law.

---------- Post added 02-02-2017 at 17:50 ----------

Perhaps the time has come for the matter of economic forecasting to be taken out of the hands of the BoE, IMF and Treasury and handed over to somebody with a better track record.

I wonder if that octopus from the world cup is available.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_the_Octopus

Or we could find one of those old ladies who read entrails, or palms or tea-leaves and such.

Time to learn octopod.. ;)

You should ask UKIPper Jeffrey Shaw.

After all, that's his argument in post #2961 above, which 999tigger then asked him to clarify with his question at post #2974.

I find it a bizarre statement. As Jeffrey has a brain, then I thought he might do us the courtesy of clarifying the comment. Ive never seen anyone deny the existence of EU or international law before, which means there must be some context to his statement that I missed?

---------- Post added 03-02-2017 at 00:55 ----------

No EU law? Has that not been the issue most people have with the EU, that an unelected commission that has the sole right to propose legislation which is then enforced on EU member states.

I think a lot of people misunderstand how the EU works. the commission is just the civil service. Ultimate decisions are made and voted on either by the EU parliament or for the really important ones then the Council of Ministers. Major legislation doesnt come into force unless approved by the Council who get to vote. The voters are the democratically elected representaives of the members i.e government ministers. Its hard co oridnating policy for 26 countries. the alternative is to let the EU parliament decide everything.

I find it a bizarre statement. As Jeffrey has a brain, then I thought he might do us the courtesy of clarifying the comment. Ive never seen anyone deny the existence of EU or international law before, which means there must be some context to his statement that I missed?

---------- Post added 03-02-2017 at 00:55 ----------

I think a lot of people misunderstand how the EU works. the commission is just the civil service. Ultimate decisions are made and voted on either by the EU parliament or for the really important ones then the Council of Ministers. Major legislation doesnt come into force unless approved by the Council who get to vote. The voters are the democratically elected representaives of the members i.e government ministers. Its hard co oridnating policy for 26 countries. the alternative is to let the EU parliament decide everything.

I think you are missing the point, vote are taken but only on the proposals that are put before them by the unelected Commission.

I think you are missing the point, vote are taken but only on the proposals that are put before them by the unelected Commission.

Not at all. the Commissioners are appointed by the member states. The ultimate say of whatever becomes law lies with the member states.

It's not the economists are stupid.

The BoE have said its likely that living standards will fall; for some reason the media are saying the BoE has released a positive report about the economy. WHY?