The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

I suspect this may be the case.

All we read in the xenophobic UK press is how much the EU hate the British and what a terrible Prime Minister that Mr Merkel is.

Yet in actual fact, Mr Merkel is highly regarded by Germanese business leaders and they think Our Nige' is an annoying prat.

The sentiment is very pro British in western europe for many reasons, main one being that I don't have to speak german.

Would you not be inclined to complain if somebody sent you an illegal demand for tens of billions of points?

Hello, I see you've spent literally the whole waking day posting on this again, from 8:16am. Is this your full time occupation?

Never get divorced, my friend. You wouldn't understand why you must repay your share of that credit card debt you built up together.

Why is it 'penalising' the UK if they are legally liable for the money they are asked to pay?

Because they have discretion as to what they will seek to put forward as a liability and things they may disregard. Nobody has ever left before so it is all new ground. There isnt a nice clean exit bill. Something the lawyers can argue over and the diplomats compromise on.

If they dont come to an agreement then they will both lose.

Edited by 999tigger

Because they have discretion as to what they will seek to put forward as a liability and things they may disregard. Nobody has ever left before so it is all new ground. There isnt a nice clean exit bill.

So a negotiation, not a penalty. Article 50:

"the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union"

There's nothing in the treaties to support the idea of a leaving bill.

The EU is in a fundamentally unstable dysfunctional state. It needs to integrate into a single federal nation, or revert to a trading bloc before it collapses in a heap of misery.

I agree with you that the way you talk we are better off without the UK in the EU.

Because they have discretion as to what they will seek to put forward as a liability and things they may disregard. Nobody has ever left before so it is all new ground. There isnt a nice clean exit bill. Something the lawyers can argue over and the diplomats compromise on.

If they dont come to an agreement then they will both lose.

Where does the 'penalising' come into it?,that's what I asked about.