The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

I was not aware that there was a regional data base recording educational qualifications of it's constituents.

It is all presumptions.

Have you looked up the data to confirm that? Or as I said is it because you don't like the answer you are going to try to find non-existent reasons to discount it?

I'm not convinced that academic education is well correlated with general wisdom.

My training in physics hardly makes me more qualified that anybody else on here in matters of constitutional politics and macro-economics.

The whole thing is a red herring to my mind.

Now if there was a survey of training and/or experience relevant to the matter at hand, that would be worthwhile looking at.

It's in the census for a start...

Census are done every 10 years, data can be out of date.

---------- Post added 07-02-2017 at 10:30 ----------

I'm not convinced that academic education is well correlated with general wisdom.

My training in physics hardly makes me more qualified that anybody else on here in matters of constitutional politics and macro-economics.

The whole thing is a red herring to my mind.

Now if there was a survey of training and/or experience relevant to the matter at hand, that would be worthwhile looking at.

Don't let logic override a degree in underwater basket weaving to give a person more understanding of political matters.

Edited by harvey19

I'm not convinced that general wisdom is relevant to matters related to the EU referendum, whether practical or theoretical.

Your higher education 'training' makes you more qualified/experienced at sourcing and appraising information of several levels, exercising critical thought processes and reaching informed/reasoned conclusions (biased or otherwise).

It's only a red herring due to its inconvenience for the winning side. Same kind of red herrings as levels of xenophobia, bigotry <etc.>

People with degrees are likely to be earning more and be in more secure than those without (just look at average salaries to confirm that) and therefore they will feel more content with life than those without degrees and are therefore more likely to support the status quo. I find none of this in anyway unexpected

Another argument along the same lines is that those with degrees and other tertiary quals will have been to a UK university/college/poly and will have met overseas students - will perhaps have been overseas themselves for part or all of their qualification, and are therefore more comfortable being part of a more international outlook on life. They value these contacts, see the benefit of them to them and are less willing to give it up and so are more likely to vote remain.

Don't let logic override a degree in underwater basket weaving to give a person more understanding of political matters.

Y'see the thing about a degree is that it shows the recipient can read,absorb and understand information..it shows they can research topics..it's not just the subject ,it's the process of learning and understanding...

At least now you're admitting there is a database of educational attainment...it's a start I suppose.. :)

I was questioning initially(not very well worded) how it was known what the educational qualifications of an area's voters were at the time of voting.

---------- Post added 07-02-2017 at 10:41 ----------

Y'see the thing about a degree is that it shows the recipient can read,absorb and understand information..it shows they can research topics..it's not just the subject ,it's the process of learning and understanding...

Are non degree holders unable to master this ?

The argument seems to be based on a false premise that only degree holders research and understand topics.

Edited by harvey19