The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

If taken at their face value, the figures show that younger, more educated voters were more likely to vote remain. However, to interpret this to mean that leave voters are ignorant and stupid may fit the bigoted narrative of remainers, but is a ridiculous inference to draw.

What should be taken into account is that most older voters never had the opportunity to go to university to attain academic qualifications (whereas now virtually anyone with an IQ above the level of an amoeba can gain entry to the groves of academe and attain graduate status). Older voters, on leaving school, became tradesmen, businessmen, administrators, managers, factory workers etc. are likely to be just as bright as those of a younger generation and just as, if not more, knowledgeable about world affairs, based on a lifetime's experience.

Another argument along the same lines is that those with degrees and other tertiary quals will have been to a UK university/college/poly and will have met overseas students - will perhaps have been overseas themselves for part or all of their qualification, and are therefore more comfortable being part of a more international outlook on life. They value these contacts, see the benefit of them to them and are less willing to give it up and so are more likely to vote remain.

Most people have travelled abroad these days and mixed with people from overseas. I have lived abroad and travelled widely but this has nothing to do with how I voted.

If taken at their face value, the figures show that younger, more educated voters were more likely to vote remain. However, to interpret this to mean that leave voters are ignorant and stupid may fit the bigoted narrative of remainers, but is a ridiculous inference to draw.

What should be taken into account is that most older voters never had the opportunity to go to university to attain academic qualifications (whereas now virtually anyone with an IQ above the level of an amoeba can gain entry to the groves of academe and attain graduate status). Older voters, on leaving school, became tradesmen, businessmen, administrators, managers, factory workers etc. are likely to be just as bright as those of a younger generation and just as, if not more, knowledgeable about world affairs, based on a lifetime's experience.

And that is a well balanced post from a Brexiter that accepts the research but can critically analyse it for what it is. More of this from both sides please!

That'd be a lifetime experience of being isolated from the EU and having 40 years of bigoted non stop crap from the papers shovelled at them then?

It swings both ways but the older cohort probably didn't experience as much of the EU and its entirety as the youger cohort.

---------- Post added 07-02-2017 at 10:51 ----------

Most people have travelled abroad these days and mixed with people from overseas. I have lived abroad and travelled widely but this has nothing to do with how I voted.

That's not the same as living next to them for three or four years cheek and jowl though.

And that is a well balanced post from a Brexiter that accepts the research but can critically analyse it for what it is. More of this from both sides please!

Basically the same as I posted in post 3200. You removed this part in your reply.

---------- Post added 07-02-2017 at 10:54 ----------

That'd be a lifetime experience of being isolated from the EU and having 40 years of bigoted non stop crap from the papers shovelled at them then?

It swings both ways but the older cohort probably didn't experience as much of the EU and its entirety as the youger cohort.

---------- Post added 07-02-2017 at 10:51 ----------

That's not the same as living next to them for three or four years cheek and jowl though.

Does living in a barrack room count ?

Edited by harvey19

Basically the same as I posted in post 3200. You removed this parts in your reply.

I don't think I replied to that post specifically? But I will do so now. I wasn't saying that leave voters were less intelligent than remain ones, I was explaining the research data and actually said that lots of people were drawing conclusions that weren't there.