The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

It's a question of spin. Most of the existing free trade arrangements in question will transpose seamlessly to the UK as our regulatory regime will not suddenly change so there will be no issues to resolve. The Guardian try to portray it as dramatic or even devastating when it is nothing of the kind.

Sorry about the McLarens. For some reason I thought that final assembly was on the continent.

It's a question of spin. Most of the existing free trade arrangements in question will transpose seamlessly to the UK as our regulatory regime will not suddenly change so there will be no issues to resolve.
Transposition, seamless or not, is at all times subject to consent of (ratification by) both parties to the agreement: you've got to agree the deal and its details, before you can formalise and sign it, and then transpose it (into UK law for the UK, into <national> law for the counterpart country).

The regulatory regime of either side, and its compatibility with a new agreement, is neither here nor there (it's only one of so many variables painting the whole picture): the economic and political dimensions of the deal trump that by far. They be the 'issues' to resolve in future deals.

So, you may have had a point, if you could guarantee that all of the EU27 and the EU-FTA'd third party countries are ready to sign on for "carrying on as is".

But then, there is the tiny, little, insignificant detail that the UK will cease to be a member state (and the 2nd or 3rd most influential at that) of the EU.

So I think you'll find that that tiny, little, insignificant detail matters rather an awful lot to whoever happens to sit on the other side of the table, whether EU227 member or third party, when the UK proposal is to "carrying on as is" (otherwise known as 'having one's cake and eating it').

The political dimension of the UK exit alone (in terms of its potential to negatively impact the EU project, to say nothing of the NI border/CTA issue which May is still perpetually fudging), promises to make negotiations with the EU27 particularly difficult.

Edited by L00b
typos

It's a question of spin. Most of the existing free trade arrangements in question will transpose seamlessly to the UK as our regulatory regime will not suddenly change so there will be no issues to resolve. The Guardian try to portray it as dramatic or even devastating when it is nothing of the kind.

Sorry about the McLarens. For some reason I thought that final assembly was on the continent.

So no cost for UK consumers then,the head of WTO is talking bull?

Plus,he is also talking bull about the UK being 'akin' to starting from scratch with regard to trade agreements?

Plus,he is also talking bull about the UK being 'akin' to starting from scratch with regard to trade agreements?

This is what I find most doubtful, given what else he's said on how smoothly things will go. It doesn't add up. I think it's hyperbole.

It doesn't belong on the article 50 bill.
No?

So where does this, and similar other "look both ways before you cross the road" safeguards, belong?

Ah, yes, I momentarily forgot: it's May's Brexit, undiluted by 3 days of Parliamentary debate thanks to our 'opposition' (LMFAO).

Never mind me, then. You just carry on running with your fingers crossed :lol:

No?

So where does this, and similar other "look both ways before you cross the road" safeguards, belong?

Ah, yes, I momentarily forgot: it's May's Brexit, undiluted by 3 days of Parliamentary debate thanks to our 'opposition' (LMFAO).

This is not safeguard, but a spending priority. It belongs in the 2020 budget.

Never mind me, then. You just carry on running with your fingers crossed :lol:

It's working pretty well so far. Where's your Brexit recession?

Yup, been an advocate of Corbyn right up and until now and sadly I think he has now lost my vote. God knows where to go now...Lib Dems and their flip flop to get into power or the Greens who whist I align on economics I do not align on the environmental side...argh.