The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

Is that a consequence of Brexit?

Nope. It's a consequence of the EU being a mess, and another indication (as if one were needed) that we're better off out of it.

I'd really like them to look at rolling up, or at least rolling back the entire thing by about 30 years and save themselves from a catastrophe.

In the news at Bloomberg yesterday: Experts calculate Brexit will cost four times as much as previously thought.

Brexit May Cause U.K. Output to Fall 9.5%, MIT Study Shows

Britain’s departure from the European Union could cause output losses of as much as 9.5 percent per person, according to new research.

Calculations using models that incorporate productivity measures show a negative impact on gross domestic product per capita of almost four times that of previous estimates, according to John Van Reenen, a professor of applied economics at the MIT Sloan School of Management who supported the campaign for the U.K. to remain in the EU.

The cost is going to be way bigger than the amount we currently send to Europe,” Van Reenen said in an interview on Bloomberg Television’s Surveillance with Tom Keene and Francine Lacqua

The U.K. economy has so far shown unexpected resilience following Britons’ vote to leave the trading bloc. Growth beat expectations again in the fourth quarter, coming in at 0.6 percent, although the expansion is still being almost entirely driven by services and consumer spending, continuing the lopsided trend of recent years.

“People often underestimate the benefits of having trade and foreign investment, and overestimate the costs, I think, of having immigration,” Van Reenen said. Britons “don’t realize that there are a lot of benefits to having good trade, that by having highly open trade with other countries this can be very beneficial and raise living standards.”

Good news for the rich: Brexit Is Making Wealthiest U.K. CEOs Richer

Now then.... who is it pulling Liam Fox, Michael Gove and Theresa May's strings? Ah yes... a handful of billionaires who stand do quite nicely.

In the news at Bloomberg yesterday: Experts calculate Brexit will cost four times as much as previously thought.

Brexit May Cause U.K. Output to Fall 9.5%, MIT Study Shows

Britain’s departure from the European Union could cause output losses of as much as 9.5 percent per person, according to new research.

Calculations using models that incorporate productivity measures show a negative impact on gross domestic product per capita of almost four times that of previous estimates, according to John Van Reenen, a professor of applied economics at the MIT Sloan School of Management who supported the campaign for the U.K. to remain in the EU.

The cost is going to be way bigger than the amount we currently send to Europe,” Van Reenen said in an interview on Bloomberg Television’s Surveillance with Tom Keene and Francine Lacqua

The U.K. economy has so far shown unexpected resilience following Britons’ vote to leave the trading bloc. Growth beat expectations again in the fourth quarter, coming in at 0.6 percent, although the expansion is still being almost entirely driven by services and consumer spending, continuing the lopsided trend of recent years.

“People often underestimate the benefits of having trade and foreign investment, and overestimate the costs, I think, of having immigration,” Van Reenen said. Britons “don’t realize that there are a lot of benefits to having good trade, that by having highly open trade with other countries this can be very beneficial and raise living standards.”

Good news for the rich: Brexit Is Making Wealthiest U.K. CEOs Richer

Now then.... who is it pulling Liam Fox, Michael Gove and Theresa May's strings? Ah yes... a handful of billionaires who stand do quite nicely.

Oh you found an "expert" who's decided (unlike pretty much all the others) to double-down rather than conceding. I dare say it'll get him some attention.

Bravo on managing to find somebody still waving the flag.

Nope. It's a consequence of the EU being a mess, and another indication (as if one were needed) that we're better off out of it.

I'd really like them to look at rolling up, or at least rolling back the entire thing by about 30 years and save themselves from a catastrophe.

Great,I'm sure that Greece leaving the Eurozone will be greeted with wild celebrations by the ordinary man in the UK street who voted out to improve their day to day lives and get their country back.

Great,I'm sure that Greece leaving the Eurozone will be greeted with wild celebrations by the ordinary man in the UK street who voted out to improve their day to day lives and get their country back.

It'll very likely to have that effect on the ordinary people of Greece, who have been suffering the consequences of the disastrous € for years now.

The EURO needs killing. I'd very much prefer it to be killed in an orderly and humane fashion.

It'll very likely to have that effect on the ordinary people of Greece, who have been suffering the consequences of the disastrous € for years now.

The EURO needs killing. I'd very much prefer it to be killed in an orderly and humane fashion.

But Brexit is nothing to do with that,the UK is out of the EU and was never in the Eurozone,what happens in Greece is nothing to do with people in the UK feeling left behind and wanting their lives improved by voting Brexit.

But Brexit is nothing to do with that,the UK is out of the EU and was never in the Eurozone,what happens in Greece is nothing to do with people in the UK feeling left behind and wanting their lives improved by voting Brexit.

You have premises in there which I don't accept.

If we'd listened to the Europhiles we could be where Greece are now.

You have premises in there which I don't accept.

If we'd listened to the Europhiles we could be where Greece are now.

Sorry,I am talking about the here and now,that is not going to happen so has no bearing on Brexit and the future of the UK.

Sorry,I am talking about the here and now,that is not going to happen so has no bearing on Brexit and the future of the UK.

We're discussing the consequences of Brexit. I think it only fair to include in that the consequences of non-Brexit.