The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

The only people obsessed with the free movement of people are the British. In general, the rest of the EU nations are quite content with the principle of free movement.

I was in the Balkans in the Spring and they were putting up razor wire on their borders.

I was in the Balkans in the Spring and they were putting up razor wire on their borders.

perhaps it was you they didn't want in :)

the refugees from syria and the middle east are a result of the military adventures of the west, largely the US and sadly the UK, and their inability to deal with the consequences.

it would be wrong to use this crisis and the response as a comment on the principle of the free movement of people and certainly as it applies to european citizens.

Its the EU`s obsession with free movement of people that caused the problems in the first place. Id say the majority of us who voted to leave did so because of uncontrolled immigration from within the EU .

I think you are right but it's a discussion that needs to happen in rational terms.

If we were to cut EU immigration now what changes do you think we would see? How would it help businesses and improve peoples' lives.

According to Lord Ashcroft, of the 650 parliamentary constituencies in the UK, more than 400 of them voted for leaving the EU.

That's an amazing statistic, especially as the counts were not based on constituency boundaries - which leads me to wonder if this is just another referendum lie, or has big brother been watching us a bit more than we know?

I think you are right but it's a discussion that needs to happen in rational terms.

If we were to cut EU immigration now what changes do you think we would see? How would it help businesses and improve peoples' lives.

We havnt even cut non-EU immigration yet. Why is that?

We havnt even cut non-EU immigration yet. Why is that?

Non EU nationals can't just walk through like EU nationals to come here unless they are illegal immigrants.

EU nationals can just get on a coach to Britain and pitch up anywhere so your point about non EU immigration is irrelivent to the topic.

I find the free movement idea rather strange. Canada has spent 7 years hammering out a trade deal with the EU. I can't remember free movement of people ever being mentioned during those talks.

Do you have any idea of European history? There was a big war here that ended about 70 years ago after which European countries decided to try to get on with each other by not putting borders up against each other. Canada, in case you'd forgotten, is a few thousand miles away on a different continent and therefore ineligible for EU membership on which freedom of movement depends, and not on trade deals with countries on the other side of the world.

did they?

you might have, and it's clear from what other exiters have posted on here that they didn't vote exactly for that.

It was the offer from both the in campaign and the out campaign, the out campaign was based on ending the free movement of people, and taking full control of the money we send and our own law making. The in campaign were clear that a vote to leave was a vote to leave the single market. So whilst ending the free movement of people may not have been a priority for some brexiters it is what they voted for.

Non EU nationals can't just walk through like EU nationals to come here unless they are illegal immigrants.

EU nationals can just get on a coach to Britain and pitch up anywhere so your point about non EU immigration is irrelivent to the topic.

Not really, we have the obligations of the commonwealth which allows many non-EU nationals the right to come to the country and yet no-=one seems to have discussed what happens to these people after Brexit...