The Consequences of Brexit (part 2)

No they didn't. They absolutely didn't. You're giving FAR too much credit to the electorate. There was a bloke on the telly (calendar if memory serves) who voted leave "to keep the Muslims out".

The fact that some people didn't listen to the debates is irrelevant, both sides of the debate made it very clear what people were voting for.

The fact that some people didn't listen to the debates is irrelevant, both sides of the debate made it very clear what people were voting for.

That's a load of old flannel. But sides were very very very light on any facts at all - in fairness Leave could only speculate and pulled out all sorts of things depending on who they were talking to. The voting public voted to leave the EU. Not for hard brexit, not for soft brexit, not for access to the single market, not for sending all the immigrants home. The majority voted to leave the EU, nothing more, nothing less.

The rest of the World must think the UK is a laughing stock, because of all the shenanigans by those unwilling to accept the democratic wishes of the normal people. The strange people are a small minority, who use forums such as this to throw their toys out of the pram, just because the EU result wasn't expected by them. There are many normal remain voters, who accept the democratic wishes of the majority and are not making a fuss.

It is lucky for the UK, that Mrs May is a normal person and respects the wishes of the people.

Well I studied at Sheffield University but I'm a Canadian passport holder and work for a large US company based in Seattle that has interests in South Yorkshire. I'm totally bemused by the whole saga. I can think of nothing worse for attracting investment into your country than the way this is being handled.

It was my understanding that the EU would not start to negotiate trade deals with the UK until Article 50 had been activated. So that was the first step and then the terms are agreed over the next 2 years. So just what do law makers expect to discuss before Artcle 50 is activated and they are actually in a position to have offers on the table that they can debate?

The currecy is going down the pan not because the UK voted to leave the EU, it is because the rest of the world has no idea in which direction the UK is heading.

Edited by lizmachin

Well I studied at Sheffield University but I'm a Canadian passport holder and work for a large US company based in Seattle that has interests in South Yorkshire. I'm totally bemused by the whole saga. I can think of nothing worse for attracting investment into your country than the way this is being handled.

It was my understanding that the EU would not start to negotiate trade deals with the UK until Article 50 had been activated. So that was the first step and then the terms are agreed over the next 2 years. So just what do law makers expect to discuss before Artcle 50 is activated and they are actually in a position to have offers on the table that they can debate?

The currecy is going down the pan not because the UK voted to leave the EU, it is because the rest of the world has no idea in which direction the UK is heading.

Do you work for Starbucks?

That's a load of old flannel. But sides were very very very light on any facts at all - in fairness Leave could only speculate and pulled out all sorts of things depending on who they were talking to. The voting public voted to leave the EU. Not for hard brexit, not for soft brexit, not for access to the single market, not for sending all the immigrants home. The majority voted to leave the EU, nothing more, nothing less.

No one gets to change their mind when they vote for an MP, vote for a Labour MP and you vote for labour policies, vote for a Conservative MP and you vote for their polices. Moaning after you vote on the basis that you couldn't be arsed to read their manifesto or listen to their debates doesn't wash.

Vote to remain in the EU was a vote for the status quo, a vote to leave was a vote based on everything said by both sides. What was the point in all the debate if what was said in them wasn't part of the deal.

That is what everyone voted for, both sides said a vote to leave the EU was a vote to leave the single market, the consequences of leaving is a matter of opinion and the majority din't see it as an issue to be concerned about, its time for the minority to accept the majority decision.

---------- Post added 06-11-2016 at 17:19 ----------

Neither side said anything about it being advisory, every MP that spoke including the PM said they would follow the wishes of the majority.

Want to answer the rest of my comment of leaving the single market instead of just cutting off my quote or do you have no answer?