A better referendum?

Do you think that we should end the free movement of people agreement  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that we should end the free movement of people agreement

Calling all leavers ignorant is an attitude as to why remain lost.

Remainers believe that they are superior to what they believe are 'The Great Unwashed' of the british electorate.

They just sound bitter and patronising.

I said Most leavers, not all.

Statistically, a remainer is likely to be better educated and better informed.

Since immigration is on the table, I think it worth mentioning that it's rather implausible to thing we can be part of the EU internal market without free movement. Which is why I've never advocated this.

Every thing is on the table now. What I am trying to ask, since many think the referendum was Camerons biggest ****-up in his 6 years as PM, could he have asked a different question?

The world is getting bigger so countries are getting smaller.

The earths population will hit 8bn by 2020 and the UK will become the most populated country in Europe even though we are one of the smallest by the same year.

Open borders was a fantastic idea in 1992 but the world is a very different place now. Over crowded and violent.

We need to slow down migration to the UK at least till our infrastructure has caught up with the huge demand that the government admits they under estimated.

Its time to stop how things have been done for the last 2 decades and reevaluate.

Unfortunately, you seem to have fallen for the line that immigration will slow following formal exit from the EU.

Do you remember Cameron's pledge to reduce immigration to the tens of thousands if you elected a Tory government? That didn't happen and I'd be surprised if big business allows it to happen following our exit from the EU.

Well the vote proved that your a minority.

A better educated minority.

---------- Post added 22-10-2016 at 17:47 ----------

Leavers seem to be better educated and better informed on how the democratic process works than remainers.

No they aren't.

More people believing something does not make it a fact.

You see, this is what I'm talking about, - ignorance.

Really, please explain

Here you go. Some links and relevant extracts.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/06/how-did-different-demographic-groups-vote-eu-referendum

According to these results, areas where more residents had higher education skewed sharply to Remain, while areas where a more had no formal qualifications were slightly more likely to vote Leave.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

A majority (57%) of those with a university degree voted to remain, as did 64% of those with a higher degree and more than four in five (81%) of those still in full time education. Among those whose formal education ended at secondary school or earlier, a large majority voted to leave.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted/

The most dramatic split is along the lines of education. 70% of voters whose educational attainment is only GCSE or lower voted to Leave, while 68% of voters with a university degree voted to Remain in the EU. Those with A levels and no degree were evenly split, 50% to 50%.

Leavers seem to be better educated and better informed on how the democratic process works than remainers.

As far as I can tell there is one PhD on each side of the debate on this forum.

Don't condescend to us. Some come to understand very slightly more about these matters than those who are completely disengaged from the political process and develop a unjustified sense of superiority.

There are reasoned arguments on both sides. And educated people argue using reason and facts, not ad-hominems backed up by nothing.