A better referendum?

Do you think that we should end the free movement of people agreement  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that we should end the free movement of people agreement

Not blindly no, do you?

I can do so much research but then I'm trusting someone who knows more than I do to do their job. That's why I don't fix my own boiler or self diagnose.

I looked at the facts as they were to the best of my ability and voted remain, a safer option. We're off into the unknown now, with no map.

What makes you think those same rules wouldn't have come about if the EU didn't exist?

The average worker has actually become much better off as time has gone by, excepting of course the major blip of the recent recession, which wasn't the fault of the EU.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160105160709/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/lmac/uk-wages-over-the-past-four-decades/2014/rep---uk-wages-over-the-past-four-decades.html

Do you see what I am saying? You're basing your decision making on poorly formulated assumptions and incorrect data.

just looked at your link.

Since the introduction of the National Minimum Wage, wage growth at the bottom of the earnings distribution has been strong for both full and part-time employees.

Almost a third (32.6%) of those in the top 10% of earners worked in London in 2013 while 12.3% of the bottom 10% of earners worked in the North West

Hourly wage inequality has fallen across the regions and devolved countries of the UK since 1998

where are we getting richer most of the low wage rises are due to the min wage

The rules that decided to introduce competition from the rest of the EU and ultimately put the company i worked for out of business.The only people that came out of all this well were the people who needed cheap labour to make themselves wealthy.I have ended up like so many people who worked for small family companies,we have all been swallowed up by the big boys and have found ourselves working for all the eu big boy companies who treat workers really badly and pay them a pittance.Just a number who can be hired and fired at will.The only good thing about the EU was the workers rights minimum 48 hour week which we opted out of as a country and meant i was told to opt out as part of my contract on a take it or leave it basis.I find myself regularly working 60 hours and for no extra money,just a freebie from me that i am supposed to do as a thank you for them giving me a job.Fogey says i am bitter,too right i am, the EU has done nothing for me.

Of the info I can see here it sounds more like you resent the British Government opting out of EU rules designed to protect workers, which incidentally suggests a worthwhile questioning of the idea that we have no control over any of the rules and regulations handed down from Brussels.

The EU has probably done quite a lot for all of us but most of it is probably indirect.

The rules that decided to introduce competition from the rest of the EU and ultimately put the company i worked for out of business.The only people that came out of all this well were the people who needed cheap labour to make themselves wealthy.I have ended up like so many people who worked for small family companies,we have all been swallowed up by the big boys and have found ourselves working for all the eu big boy companies who treat workers really badly and pay them a pittance.Just a number who can be hired and fired at will.The only good thing about the EU was the workers rights minimum 48 hour week which we opted out of as a country and meant i was told to opt out as part of my contract on a take it or leave it basis.I find myself regularly working 60 hours and for no extra money,just a freebie from me that i am supposed to do as a thank you for them giving me a job.Fogey says i am bitter,too right i am, the EU has done nothing for me.

Its called capitalism.

The big fish eat the little fish and when they have a monopoly they hike the prices. Companies become multi-national with loyalty to no-one and so big that they can hold some nations to ransom. Look at the pickle Ireland got themselves into with Google and the 'Double Irish' which they defended and wanted to continue with.

just looked at your link.

Since the introduction of the National Minimum Wage, wage growth at the bottom of the earnings distribution has been strong for both full and part-time employees.

Almost a third (32.6%) of those in the top 10% of earners worked in London in 2013 while 12.3% of the bottom 10% of earners worked in the North West

Hourly wage inequality has fallen across the regions and devolved countries of the UK since 1998

where are we getting richer most of the low wage rises are due to the min wage

I'm not sure what point you are making, the claim I was rebutting was that the average worker has become much worse off as a result of being in the EU. If average earnings (adjusted for inflation) have grown strongly then the average worker can't be worse off. It means that regardless of the reasons for the strong wage growth the EU can't have resulted in the average UK worker being worse off, because they aren't worse off.

I can do so much research but then I'm trusting someone who knows more than I do to do their job. That's why I don't fix my own boiler or self diagnose.

I looked at the facts as they were to the best of my ability and voted remain, a safer option. We're off into the unknown now, with no map.

I mean like doctors pushing Statins at every one. they know best their educated.

---------- Post added 22-10-2016 at 22:13 ----------

I'm not sure what point you are making, the claim I was rebutting was that the average worker has become much worse off as a result of being in the EU. If average earnings (adjusted for inflation) have grown strongly then the average worker can't be worse off. It means that regardless of the reasons for the strong wage growth the EU can't have resulted in the average UK worker being worse off, because they aren't worse off.

inflation does not take everything into account, if compared to fuel, house prices or rent, to name a few, people are not doing so well at all.