Heathrow expansion

Heathrow is getting another runway. Excellent for the economy (although I'm not sure why). The m25 is the way so that has to moved. The disruption there will be huge, really huge. It's not like that bit of motorway is quiet, it's busy most days, most times of the day. This will make it far worse, but that's worth the cost apparently.

Really? What am I missing? What's wrong with Gatwick or stanstead?

Gatwick is 'out in the sticks-not London', and Stansted is 'up North' (argument of Tory type interviewed on this morning's news, that the Heathrow expansion would be "good for the Northern Powerhouse". He didn't explain how or why. I just LOL'd).

Are you really surprised it's Heathrow?

Really-really?

Come on now, it's Tories we're talking about. '1950s-London is the bellybutton of the world' -grade ones since June.

Heathrow is getting another runway. Excellent for the economy (although I'm not sure why). The m25 is the way so that has to moved. The disruption there will be huge, really huge. It's not like that bit of motorway is quiet, it's busy most days, most times of the day. This will make it far worse, but that's worth the cost apparently.

I predict hell for any poor sod using the M25 near heathrow for the next 10-15 years.

What is wrong with both Standsted and Gatwick, just like Luton, is they are NOT in London and calling them London ..... airport is deceptive.

Surely it would be easier and less disruptive to build over the M25 so it tunnels underneath, rather than divert it.

I liked the Boris island idea when that was floated (excuse the pun) out there. Would have made more sense than a Heathrow expansion.

Surely it would be easier and less disruptive to build over the M25 so it tunnels underneath, rather than divert it.

I liked the Boris island idea when that was floated (excuse the pun) out there. Would have made more sense than a Heathrow expansion.

I'm not sure that that's the case - I think the advantages were outweighed by the disadvantages.

Also, it wasn't really Boris's idea - an airport in the Thames Estuary has been proposed numerous times since the 1940s.

I predict hell for any poor sod using the M25 near heathrow for the next 10-15 years.

What is wrong with both Standsted and Gatwick, just like Luton, is they are NOT in London and calling them London ..... airport is deceptive.

I will be using that stretch of the M25 for the next 10-15 years. I won't be flying anywhere. Where's tinfoilhat's slice of the action? What's in it for me?

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 13:34 ----------

Heathrow is our nations main international hub. You have to build for the demand, rather than attempt to shape it. London is where people want to get to.

I get that, but if you are literally destroying a huge chunk of infrastructure to make it work, what's the point? What's (actual) travel time from to central London and standstead to central London?

I get that, but if you are literally destroying a huge chunk of infrastructure to make it work, what's the point? What's (actual) travel time from to central London and standstead to central London?

It wouldn't be so bad if we just got things done, but the UK just drags its feet when it comes to building projects - just look at "tiny" projects like the Mottram bypass or Sevenstone.

Round my way they've widened the lanes at a motorway junction roundabout from 2 lanes to 3, and its taken 8 months and counting.

I will be using that stretch of the M25 for the next 10-15 years. I won't be flying anywhere. Where's tinfoilhat's slice of the action? What's in it for me?

---------- Post added 25-10-2016 at 13:34 ----------

The Gatwick Express takes about half an hour I think and trains from Brighton to London pass through Gatwick and don't take much longer: 45 mins or so from Gatwick to London Bridge.

(Which I know is an answer to a question you didn't ask but I don't know the answer to yours. However mine can be used for comparative purposes when yours is answered :))

Edited by Santo