Who remembers ' Mini disks' ?

crookedspire

Yes, I do. Invented by Sony I believe. They came out in the early 90s and were phased out a few years ago.

One advantage was you could record with the portable players which wasn't possible with portable CD players.

But in the end MP3 came along and they became superfluous.

Much like APS film and laser disks.

Yes, I was gifted a Sony MiniDisc player, one of the earlier ones.

It was great, it used lasers to write music to re-writable discs.

Only problem was, it recorded in realtime from the audio out of your hifi / soundcard. This meant you had to wait. . . and wait. . . for the entire song to play, before it was written to the disc. For an album, it could take over an hour to download :help:

They were great. Good quality sound, ideal portable music format. Lovely solid feel to the players and recorders, especially Sony and Aiwa.

Music even came out on that format:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Now-45-Thats-What-I-Call-Music-2-disc-Minidisc-Album-/131977245044?hash=item1eba74f174:g:fZUAAOSwHMJYCTbd

The record labels weren't so keen on them due to the cost so fewer new releases were put out on MiniDisc.

They were brilliant- you recorded them like taping things (real time) but once they were recorded if you thought that the tracks should be in a different order you could change them round (which wasn't possible with a tape or a CD, and mp3 players weren't really around at the time).

I did the music for my wedding with a set of minidiscs, a boom box that had a minidisc recorder/player as part of it and the hotel's PA system plugged in to my boom box. We didn't want a disco, so we all sat around talking, drinking, eating good food and playing cards until the wee small hours, with a sound track that I'd chosen a few days before.