Is "virtue signalling" good or bad?

Personally I prefer to keep good deeds or random acts of kindness to myself . Is there anything wrong with that?

What I do get annoyed about is people jumping on this and that "charitable bandwagon" just because it's "cool/whatever" to do so .

Call me an old fogie but young people should have to write a 200 word article in defence of whatever random cause they choose to support.

Personally my plan to escape this hell which Sheffield has become will begin very , very soon xx

Personally I prefer to keep good deeds or random acts of kindness to myself . Is there anything wrong with that?

What I do get annoyed about is people jumping on this and that "charitable bandwagon" just because it's "cool/whatever" to do so .

Call me an old fogie but young people should have to write a 200 word article in defence of whatever random cause they choose to support.

Personally my plan to escape this hell which Sheffield has become will begin very , very soon xx

Are you going to fight in Syria?

Godspeed old chap.

But yes, I hate virtue signalling. It's monumentally tedious. But my understanding of it was it's saying things like 'I hate the Daily Mail' or 'UKIP are a joke' etc because that's the virtuous opinion to hold, rather than banging on about your charity work.....

Edited by Santo

Only 76 words, poor show.

One of the things that I love about Sheffield is how few people do the 'giving in a public way to raise their own social standing' thing. I love it because so many people still do give, but they don't crow about it or make a big thing about it, they just are quietly generous.

I'm involved with an appeal which gives help to organisations which help people who are homeless or vulnerably housed and year on year, the generosity of Sheffield people stuns me. Each time the appeal is run it seems to fall on deaf ears because the public response is so small, but the actual result is amazing. For the last 4 years the resulting pile of donations has doubled every year, not just on this one appeal but on every appeal in Sheffield which is part of the same group.

The people of Sheffield should be rightly proud of their compassion and their generosity. How about recognising that an awful lot of the world runs ONLY because people 'jump on their bandwagons'?

I very much dislike it especially when a "celeb" tries to show how benevolent they are by highlighting some issue. I'm more impressed with the little old lady who is selling poppies or the 7 year old who saved all their pocket money to send to refugees.

On the flip side, if people are giving to look good, who otherwise wouldn't give, then ultimately it's still money for a good cause.

The problem with 'virtue signalling' by celebrities is that it doesn't of itself cost them anything at all in financial terms and may even boost their careers.

The problem with 'virtue signalling' by celebrities is that it doesn't of itself cost them anything at all in financial terms and may even boost their careers.

As I mentioned above, the OP isn't accurate in his description of virtue signalling.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtue_signalling

But back to your point, Coldplay gave £8m to Kids Company so their virtue signalling (used in the incorrect sense) cost them a fair whack.