Fitting driveway gates

I'm wanting to hang a pair of old driveway which were (believe it or not!) hung at the end of my driveway when I moved in. I removed them as they were a pain getting the car in and out.

I now want to hang them further down the drive at the side of the house, to keep the dog in. They're iron gates with one hook st the top of each to hang from. I'm planning to get a couple of hook on plate shelters from screw fix which on one side can attach to the concrete fence post, but the other side just has the house wall, which is rendered and far from level, meaning if I just screwed the bracket into the wall it wouldn't be in the right place as the rendered area curves in making the space between post and house being wider, with the lower bricked area being narrower.

So my question is: what is the best method of attacking the hanging bracket? Should I masonry bolt some timber to the side of the house? Will that be strong enough to support a heavy iron gate? Or should an iron gate not hang from timber? Also should it go through the render or should a channel be made in it? Any help would be appreciated. I've a puppy on the loose!

I'm wanting to hang a pair of old driveway which were (believe it or not!) hung at the end of my driveway when I moved in. I removed them as they were a pain getting the car in and out.

I now want to hang them further down the drive at the side of the house, to keep the dog in. They're iron gates with one hook st the top of each to hang from. I'm planning to get a couple of hook on plate shelters from screw fix which on one side can attach to the concrete fence post, but the other side just has the house wall, which is rendered and far from level, meaning if I just screwed the bracket into the wall it wouldn't be in the right place as the rendered area curves in making the space between post and house being wider, with the lower bricked area being narrower.

So my question is: what is the best method of attacking the hanging bracket? Should I masonry bolt some timber to the side of the house? Will that be strong enough to support a heavy iron gate? Or should an iron gate not hang from timber? Also should it go through the render or should a channel be made in it? Any help would be appreciated. I've a puppy on the loose!

depends on the weight of the gates attached to the house, remember the weight of the gate will be magnified by the canter-lever effect of the width of the gate, if you got room id sink a post next to the house, instead of a quick fix of attaching it to the structural brick work of the building. Which has its strength in supporting a compression load rather than a sideways load.

Edited by phil752

Buy another concrete fence post and either attach it to your house wall or concrete it in to the ground next to your house wall.

Alternatively you could attach a wooden (fence post) to your house after you have planed it to remove any visual gap.

I hope you have measured up to make sure the gates will fit in the new location.

Speaking from experience of hanging a large pair of heavy steel gates-the best method of doing a proper job is to use box section concreted in the ground, either 80mmx80mm or 100mmx100mm. Ideally these posts need to be 60cm (2ft) in the ground.

Not only do you have to consider the weight of the gates, but also the extra force of a heavy gate moving/swinging when in use.

You are welcome to come and have a look a the the pair I made and erected at the end of my drive. Just PM.