Wilko's should relocate to former BHS

Cplant

From The Star:

The reason they have integrated office space into the retail offering is that we don't have enough retail demand for multi-story retail throughout the city. If we're building up then it must be multi-use which means accomodation and office space.

It is also easier to go online than struggle through a building with broken escalators

You clearly didn't see the plans then, and even IF it was above shopping area filling empty space at castigate rather than space above shops would make more economical sense....so please think before you speak especially if your going to call people dim ?

We should have a like button on these threads:)

It is also easier to go online than struggle through a building with broken escalators

I don't think that'll stop them, if John Lewis have a new store then it will have multiple floors, but the escalators can't get any worse than the current store, so there's that.

I meant 'Those people' who use the bus stops in that area. :huh:

Oh, I thought you meant those other sort of people :shocked::

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/man-chopped-toe-off-with-bolt-cutters-and-ate-it-in-sheffield-store-1-8211082

I could understand why Wilkos might want to put some distance between themselves and the general look and feel of that area if they did move.

Oh, I thought you meant those other sort of people :shocked::

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/man-chopped-toe-off-with-bolt-cutters-and-ate-it-in-sheffield-store-1-8211082

I could understand why Wilkos might want to put some distance between themselves and the general look and feel of that area if they did move.

Perhaps they could relocate to West Street where the drunks and spewer uppers can be seen staggering around most nights.

Perhaps they could relocate to West Street where the drunks and spewer uppers can be seen staggering around most nights.

At least it's better than them doing during shopping hours.

Have you seen in the star about a bloke who went into Wilkinson, cut his big toe off and ate it?.

Corn on the toe that's a new one.

You forgot the ladies of negotiable virtue! :D

But assuming your question isn't a rhetorical one, then no, I can't see them relocating to West Street where the drunks etc, etc. However, I wouldn't be totally amazed if they were tempted by the Moor where the bright, shiny stuff seems to be gravitating. But I honestly don't know, it's entirely possible that they do think that their customer demographic is better served by where they are.

I work at Riverside and catch the bus from the Wilko area every day. The regeneration of the area can't come soon enough and I've been wondering if Wilko is going to relocate too.

There's not going to be many shops within a quick walking distance if it does move though. I'll often just nip to Wilko during my dinner hour and it's always packed. Primark is going to be a trek from Riverside now. I know there's public transport, but if us lot working at Riverside just want a quick stroll to the shops at dinner time then there's going to be nowhere for us to go.

If more professionals move to Riverside and all the shops move to the moor, won't shops lose out on our custom? There's going to be loads of us milling around with no quick access to shops.

On the upside, there's lots of nice benches now for us to sit.

You clearly didn't see the plans then, and even IF it was above shopping area filling empty space at castigate rather than space above shops would make more economical sense....so please think before you speak especially if your going to call people dim ?

Wazzock shouldn't get personal (and I have dealings with him on another forum where he can be equally quick to jump down people's throats), however, you are factually incorrect on this one, as far as I can see. The planned HSBC building's entire ground floor save a few entrances & lobbys for the upper office floors is retail units. Probably 80% of the ground floor.

Your 'economical sense' argument for filling space in Castlegate doesn't...make sense. If it did, then it would have happened. In reality, you're ignoring the fact that most high street retailers do not want to base themselves on Haymarket/Waingate. Why? They simply know that the majority of their potential customers don't want to shop around there, and that the retail units are outdated and not suitable for their modern needs.

Call it snobbery if you like, but there's your reality. The middle and high-end retailers want to be in a reasonably attractive part of town, in modern premises and amongst students, office workers etc. Right now, that's up around St Pauls, The Moor, etc.

Footbacon does make a good point that the West Bar/Riverside area is a growing business district too, so maybe retail isn't dead in that area of town forever - but for now, the poor retail units and unattractive environment mean it's retail offering is scaling down.

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 17:07 ----------

First, I prefer castle location near tram over moor.

But if I were to be honest like I usually am.

Castle is like an old fruit hanging on an old dying tree that needs to come down completely to make room for a new garden.

I think this is the crux of the sad truth. In an ideal world, I think Sheffield's strong retail economy of the 60s & 70s should have been invested in and allowed to prosper through the 1980s and 90s; instead it was allowed to wane and given a formidable foe in the shape of Meadowhall.

Now, whatever the rights and wrongs of those past decisions to neglect, withhold investment etc, it seems the only real course of action is to allow the retail economy there to die off completely, as the lingering remains of it are keeping new uses and investment away from the area.