Pump track, Stannington

Hi all,

Adults generally have the advantage of being able to drive round, so going to a bmx/pump track isnt a problem. But for youngsters they rely heavily on other people.

Locally there is Bolehills, which is fantastic..but its not that easy to get to without motorised transport.

I'd love to see something in Stannington, similar to Bolehills but mellower. I believe these places enable all ages to get together, have fun, encourage eachother and most importantly stay out of trouble.

Off the top of my head Stannington Park, would probably make a decent venue, its a substantial size. The track only needs to be small, similar to Totley pump track i would say.

With a little boy on the way, id love to be able to take him on his bike a short walk/ride from home when he's old enough, obviously taking mine too.

Any thoughts?

Thoughts?

Take him in stannington park, a little boy/girl will love that.

A child (especially a very young one!) will not be thinking 'where's my nearest BMX/Pump Track/Velodrome'!. That's a grown-up's (our!) 'hang-up'!!.

At the pace a child of 2-3+ can/will cycle your own bike will only be a hindrance anyway!. Get your walking shoes on and go out and enjoy your little one...........

he'll too soon be better & faster than you and off to the Bole Hills with his mates, leaving you behind, before you know it!. :)

Some valid points, however I still feel that the park would benefit. There are football pitches generally all over the place yet cycling seems to be left behind.

I imagine a balance bike on a little track would be a lot of fun.

I only thought about this after seeing an article about a skate park in high green that recently opened.

• 3 weeks later...
sounds like guesswork, but i can give an accurate answer because last night i rode from stannington to bolehills myself.

now bear in mind that either way, 50% of the trip is downhill.

it took me 6 minutes from stannington to riveling valley and 15 from rivelin up to bolehills.

21 total. and i was NOT trying to break any speed records. just cruising

And walking? It's 1.7 miles, average walking pace is say 3.1mph = 32 minutes.

Google maps says 40 minutes, may be they factor the gradient in.

Either way, your answer is only accurate for you, on a bike, last night.