Snowblower experience?

Can snowblowers be used in cramped streets/neighbourhoods?

Up until now, I've always cleared snow off the pavement and street around our house and for our neighbours, just using a shovel and grit. I like it, and it seems to be appreciated as the Council doesn't do our hilly street.

I'm getting older and looking longingly at those snowblowers that are so popular in the States. I've never used one, but they seem to blow the snow way up in the air and off to the side. In our neighbourhood, like much of Sheffield, the street is crowded with parked cars, narrow pavements, and then walls.

If I use a snowblower on a street like this, will it do any good, or will I just obnoxiously be blowing the snow over the parked cars, driveways, and front windows of our neighbours?

Any experience?

Depending on your street layout, you might find the Stiga Electric model suitable (£50).

Basically it blows forwards, so you keep clearing until you reach the end of the pavement where it blows onto the road or grass.

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/stiga-snow-electric-31-snow-blower.html

just looked at these, they look cool if you have a long drive foot path