No Orgreave inquiry

That might well be the case but do you really agree with Penny's absurd suggestion that Scargill cost miners their jobs?

The pits were always going to be closed. Scargill fought a fight he couldn't win.

Saying he was feathering his own nest like all union leaders is just the sort of brain-dead non-thought so typical of Penistone.

You do know he's faced several court cases alleging he took money out of the NUM for his own ends??

You're right though, he didn't cost them their jobs, those were long gone.

I don't think he did anything to help the whole process though.

Passage of time as well, 30 years ago it would have been far more relevant.

Maybe if they sorted the rot out back then later events would have happened differently?

Now with no chance of prosecution, nothing new to learn and no-one having been actually wronged it's just a waste of time.

I've just had a quick look and absence of death is not a disqualifying factor.

Had we not had the Hillsborough outcome would you still be claiming that the passage of time rendered it pointless? I hope not because, clearly that would be embarrassingly wrong.

Lastly, how on earth can you claim that there is nothing new to learn? How do you know that?

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 20:05 ----------

the only thing that stood out like a sore thumb

So it wasn't the only thing you learned. Well, at least you know it now.

That might well be the case but do you really agree with Penny's absurd suggestion that Scargill cost miners their jobs?

The pits were always going to be closed. Scargill fought a fight he couldn't win.

Saying he was feathering his own nest like all union leaders is just the sort of brain-dead non-thought so typical of Penistone.

hes done well for his self since the strike and to the cost of the NUM

Is that set in stone?

No just my opinion. But how much money that could otherwise be spent on healing the sick and such would you like to expend on investigating a 32 year old incident in which nobody went to jail and nobody died?

It may not have been sorted out perfectly at the time, but not that far off, and we've had plenty of police reform since then. Is it really worth it.

The Hillsborough enquiry, of which I did most wholeheartedly approve, cost about £14million. This one might come in a bit cheaper. But it gives you an impression of the scale.

No, but it would show you that your allegation of what I was claiming was incorrect and that you have now started to swerve my questions.

Thats just because everyone is bored of you yamming on about the same rubbish.

It's notable you've swerved any mention that no-one died, no-one was prosecuted and compensation had already been handed out.

No just my opinion. But how much money that could otherwise be spent on healing the sick and such would you like to expend on investigating a 32 year old incident in which nobody went to jail and nobody died?

It may not have been sorted out perfectly at the time, but not that far off, and we've had plenty of police reform since then. Is it really worth it.

The Hillsborough enquiry, of which I did most wholeheartedly approve, cost about £14million. This one might come in a bit cheaper. But it gives you an impression of the scale.

Fair enough.

I disagree that wrongful prosecution and death are the only reasons to pursue an inquiry.

Hypothetically, if the inquiry took place and exposed cabinet complicity in police illegality nobody would complain about the lack of death or wrongful prosecution.

The financial argument has never really weighed much with me. It is often used to deflect from the pursuit of accountability. The public have precious few ways of holding powerful institutions accountable. The financial argument can feel like blackmail.