No Orgreave inquiry

In 1991, South Yorkshire Police paid out £425,000 in compensation to 39 miners who successfully sued for assault, malicious prosecution and wrongful arrest. Astonishingly, despite the payouts and the widespread allegations of the fabrication of evidence, the Force admitted no wrongdoing and no officer was disciplined.

http://www.newstatesman.com/2016/09/government-must-stop-dithering-and-hold-orgreave-public-inquiry

So you really want people to tell you why basing an inquiry on some moronic hypothetical situation is not a good idea???

Please it's just pathetic.

No, I really do suggest you look up hypothetically.

It was an example of something that could come up which would render some of the objections to an inquiry on this thread irrelevant.

At no point did I say I believed it. But I think you already know that.

No, I really do suggest you look up hypothetically.

It was an example of something that could come up which would render some of the objections to an inquiry on this thread irrelevant.

At no point did I say I believed it. But I think you already know that.

You must have arms like Arnie, all this swimming against the tide.

Fair enough.

I disagree that wrongful prosecution and death are the only reasons to pursue an inquiry.

Hypothetically, if the inquiry took place and exposed cabinet complicity in police illegality nobody would complain about the lack of death or wrongful prosecution.

The financial argument has never really weighed much with me. It is often used to deflect from the pursuit of accountability. The public have precious few ways of holding powerful institutions accountable. The financial argument can feel like blackmail.

That's understandable. But we do have massive public enquiries for events of great significance. I dare say that many thought that Chilcot would never arrive.

Doesn't mean we hold such enquiries likely.

Agreed.

All I have seen suggested is that Labour under Blair were too centre right to care. Terrible and damning excuse.

Really. Too "centre right" to embarrass the Conservatives. Makes zero sense.

The current Labour party is being opportunist and playing games. They would have made the same decision in government.