No Orgreave inquiry

What happened at Orgreave was Scargill bussed in violent, militant thugs to have a pop at the police.

They came for a ruck with the police and they got one. Problem is they lost ,and are still whinging about it.

Even if we were to accept what you say as true - and I don't, there's already significant evidence been uncovered of the police conspiring to pervert the course of justice and it seems highly likely that their behaviour was politically led.

I think the officers and politicians responsible should be held to account, you (yet again) seem to think that criminal behaviour should go unpunished when it's politically inconvenient. A typically hypocritical and nauseating stance that you and the Tory scummers seem to share.

Edited by Halibut

Even if we were to accept what you say as true - and I don't, there's already significant evidence been uncovered of the police conspiring to pervert the course of justice and it seems highly likely that their behaviour was politically led.

I think the officers and politicians responsible should be held to account, you (yet again) seem to think that criminal behaviour should go unpunished when it's politically inconvenient. A typically hypocritical and nauseating stance that you and the Tory scummers seem to share.

Your thoughts on the labour "scummers" who ignored it for 13 years?

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 20:46 ----------

Paying a gang of so called thugs 425,000 smackers says all you need to know doesnt it, it tells me who was right and who was wrong

I don't disagree. There's been umpteen programmes about it (and I still maintain there's enough blame to go around) - I'm not sure what we're going to learn.

Your thoughts on the labour "scummers" who ignored it for 13 years?

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 20:46 ----------

I don't disagree. There's been umpteen programmes about it (and I still maintain there's enough blame to go around) - I'm not sure what we're going to learn.

i also agree with that, ie throwing concrete from a bridge onto a car is crazy, they were put before the courts and got duly punished for their reckless actions, but on this day in question, violence aside, what the police did was wrong, fabricating evidence and lying under oath can never be deemed acceptable, specially from someone who is supposed to uphold the law

There is a really basic point that many of you are still missing - if what you are saying about Orgreave is in any way similar to what was said prior to the HIP report and subsequent Inquests then it has exactly the same chance of being wrong.

The inability to learn from incredibly recent history is startling. Many of you are repeating a mistake you made only a handful of years ago.

That mistake is assuming you know all there is to know.

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 22:09 ----------

You show disrespect to the innocents who died; some of them children, none of whom were looking for trouble; at Hillsborough with this comparison. Nobody died at Orgreave and nobody went to prison.

It's not comparable.

I prefer to take my cue from Margaret Aspinall on that particular score.

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 22:10 ----------

What happened at Orgreave was Scargill bussed in violent, militant thugs to have a pop at the police.

They came for a ruck with the police and they got one. Problem is they lost ,and are still whinging about it.

That sums it up, inquiry over.

Both of those are very easily satisfied with simplicity.

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 22:12 ----------

I'm quite sure it did, certainly as SYP forked out £425k in compo way back in the 80s. I'll admit there was no disciplinary action but what's going to happen to those policemen now?

There is potentially more to it than prosecuting a few policemen. Your focus is too narrow. You have no idea what may be uncovered. You even admit yourself you are not sure what you are going to learn. Were you sure you would learn that SYP changed statements prior to the Hillsborough revelations?

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 22:16 ----------

It was a different time, when the police sometimes thought that the ends justified the means at such times. We've learned these lessons already.

How did we learn them?

Partially by forging ahead with unpopular inquiries in the face of exactly the kind of entrenched opposition exemplified in this thread.

Edited by mikem8634

There is a really basic point that many of you are still missing - if what you are saying about Orgreave is in any way similar to what was said prior to the HIP report and subsequent Inquests then it has exactly the same chance of being wrong.

The inability to learn from incredibly recent history is startling. Many of you are repeating a mistake you made only a handful of years ago.

That mistake is assuming you know all there is to know.

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 22:09 ----------

I prefer to take my cue from Margaret Aspinall on that particular score.

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 22:10 ----------

Both of those are very easily satisfied with simplicity.

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 22:12 ----------

There is potentially more to it than prosecuting a few policemen. Your focus is too narrow. You have no idea what may be uncovered. You even admit yourself you are not sure what you are going to learn. Were you sure you would learn that SYP changed statements prior to the Hillsborough revelations?

---------- Post added 01-11-2016 at 22:16 ----------

How did we learn them?

Partially by forging ahead with unpopular inquiries in the face of exactly the kind of entrenched opposition exemplified in this thread.

My wife was wrongly issued a PCN a few years back. The council admitted their mistake upon appeal, but we can't know for certain why the PCN was wrongly issued in the first place. Same thing happened to me a year or so later. That's a pattern that is.

Let's have a public enquiry.