No Orgreave inquiry

They are very similar - same police force, roughly the same time, same government in charge. Only nobody died - that is crucial. Hillsborough enquiry cost £70m according to a quick google. Wouldn't you rather have that money protecting your community now?

But let's say there's a U turn. What else needs digging up? 32 years is clearly not too late so how far back do you want to go?

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 17:50 ----------

Do you think the police is run in the same way now as it was then?

I kind of see your point Tinny. But the Beeb had an enquiry after Saville and I'm pretty confident it's not still run the same way.

Enquiries serve a purpose. However as a point of order I'm not entirely convinced there is anything left to know about Orgreave.

The home secretary, Amber Rudd, has rejected the possibility of an inquiry into the “Battle of Orgreave”, the brutal clash between police and miners during the 1984 miners’ strike.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/31/government-rules-out-orgreave-inquiry

This is a disgrace, there should have been a full inquiry, this needed to be resolved and all the questions answered

Correct decision. Whats your view on the violent miners ?

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 18:05 ----------

It's the right decision. The miners came looking for a confrontation and got one, if there had been no pickets there would have been no "battle". The police were only protecting themselves and local communities.

Correct. spot on

Perhaps.

Obelix asked why miners still whine. So one can assume he thinks they still whine. Asked and possible answer given ;)

(Not sure now if he meant just those at Orgreave but thinking about it, most probably)

You never been to Thurnscoe or Goldthorpe ?

The reason why those areas are so run down is because the bitter miners wont move on , they are still moaning about what happened decades ago .

The reason why those areas are so run down is because the bitter miners wont move on , they are still moaning about what happened decades ago .

Ahh Goldthorpe. You know the EU once described it as one of the poorest villages in the EU? Not just Britain but the EU. That's pretty shocking for our so called civilised nation you are so proud of but don't pay your due taxes to, wouldn't you agree Penny flower?

Edit: I confused Grimethorpe with Goldthorpe.

Yes, I've been to both though since you ask.

Correct decision. Whats your view on the violent miners ?

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 18:05 ----------

Correct. spot on

As i said in a previous post, i have never condoned any violence, but the miners were fighting to save their jobs,

A lot of the violence that we saw at Orgreave was from a distorted view point, we saw the miners throwing bricks and then get charged by the police, as we now know it didnt happen in that order

As i said in a previous post, i have never condoned any violence, but the miners were fighting to save their jobs,

A lot of the violence that we saw at Orgreave was from a distorted view point, we saw the miners throwing bricks and then get charged by the police, as we now know it didnt happen in that order

Does that make it ok? What if everybody who lost their job started rioting?

so they are sat at home just moaning about the mines that cloased, they are not sat there because there are no jobs then?

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 18:16 ----------

Does that make it ok? What if everybody who lost their job started rioting?

as i stated, i beleive the rioting started after they were charged by the mounted police, some receiving fractured skulls

so they are sat at home just moaning about the mines that cloased, they are not sat there because there are no jobs then?

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 18:16 ----------

as i stated, i beleive the rioting started after they were charged by the mounted police, some receiving fractured skulls

That area has had stacks of money thrown at it - my mate (also from a former pit village) got a job at a haulage firm up there. Thurnscoe is the land that time forgot, a community centre in an old church all vandalised - whose fault is that? Not all former pit villages are like that, some areas have moved on, some are trying to. Even bolsover is trying to drag itself into the 21st century. Some, like thurnscoe and goldthorpe (complete with railway stations no less!) are very much rooted where they are.