Tap and Barrel pub has closed.

crookedspire

I'm not sure whether it's irony, stupidity, or the blindness to your own inconsistencies..

I don't believe Uber and Pub Co's to be that similar.

Uber has introduced competition to an industry that for a long time has had little. (From a customer perspective).

Enterprise has little or no benefits for the customer or owner of the business. Uber has benefits.

I don't drive taxis, I don't work for Uber, but I use taxis. I like cashless, I like being able to see the driver coming, I like the rating system, and I like the free referrals of which I have had a lot. I do have a couple of cab driver friends which is where most of my discussion has come from.

I find both industries interesting. But there are plenty of issues surrounding the taxi trade of which I am sure you know more than me. But the deregulation has been good for Uber clearly. What doesn't help is the issues around crime (Girls assaulted in cabs), taxis that quote £50 to go from Town to Totley when it is busy and often the general arrogance of some drivers thinking they have a right to a living by being less than honest.

I have had zero issues with Uber as yet. And am now well in to 50+ 'rides'. City/Mercury as was on the other hand I have had late drivers, no show drivers, drivers who think I don't know they are going the longest route, 10 minutes on call hold pre app.

Almost all businesses have loyalty schemes, and Uber has recognised their users by rewarding them, you are lucky to get a thanks when paying most of the time.

My only moral issue is with their paying of corporation tax, but then I also use Amazon. You also have to assume their drivers are declaring their income for tax (i'm sure all cab drivers do this meticulously ;) ) This does put in to 'Local' economies as they earn and spend in this country.

If there was a cashless pub, that had no queues, and served drinks 20% cheaper than everywhere else, I would probably go too!

We are realistically only 15 years away from fully driverless cars, at which point I am afraid the taxi trade will face a whole new plight.

Like with all things it is survival of the fittest. The PubCo model is almost proven not to work, Punch sold off huge amounts of pubs, Enterprise have done the same. And they are now working on new models, like Punch's Falcon model that purely works on income to wage spend. Look at pubs like The York and The Broadfield, both failed as PubCo, but once Freehold, do very well. There are now some great pubs/bars in Sheffield, but you will find mostly they are Freehold/or managed.

Edited by jamesogt

In short, race to the bottom!

I don't believe Uber and Pub Co's to be that similar.

Perhaps the stories I hear of pubcos putting up rents when somewhere does well, weren't true.

If there was a cashless pub, that had no queues, and served drinks 20% cheaper than everywhere else, I would probably go too!

If you owned a pub, and the pub next door was serving drinks 20% cheaper because they were bending the rules to undercut you, I doubt you'd be happy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
20 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Where do you get a pint in Victoria Quays ?

As mentioned 2x bars there now, nice and quiet by the Canal, but a bit off route for a pub crawl, “True Love” do decent Pizzas if you fancy food and a pint and “The Pax” do some decent real Ales, so worth a try if down that end.👍

Edited by MickeyDuff