Why do drivers do it

Drivers sticking in the outside lane really bug me.

Driving into Sheffield down the Parkway a grey Mercedes joined the Parkway in front of me from Handsworth and immediately went into the outer lane although there was no traffic in the LH lane.

He then proceeded at 40 mph in the outer lane.

NormallyI would pull in behind him if I wanted to overtake and if a flash or a toot didn't encourage him to move over I would do a swift undertake in the LH lane.(Yes I know I really shouldn't)

However I was in no particular rush so I stuck behind him with me in the LH lane giving him room to pull over if he thought it might be a good idea.

But no.He carried on sedately all the way to the lights and to cap it all he then moved into the second lane towards town,and not as I anticipated towards Derek Dooley Way.

Why do drivers do this .Cant they stand being overtaken.

There are precious few junctions where you need to move immediately into the outer lane in anticipation of a right turn but so many drivers do so as a matter of course.

It's bad driving .

I feel better for that.Thank you.

Drivers sticking in the outside lane really bug me.

Driving into Sheffield down the Parkway a grey Mercedes joined the Parkway in front of me from Handsworth and immediately went into the outer lane although there was no traffic in the LH lane.

He then proceeded at 40 mph in the outer lane.

NormallyI would pull in behind him if I wanted to overtake and if a flash or a toot didn't encourage him to move over I would do a swift undertake in the LH lane.(Yes I know I really shouldn't)

However I was in no particular rush so I stuck behind him with me in the LH lane giving him room to pull over if he thought it might be a good idea.

But no.He carried on sedately all the way to the lights and to cap it all he then moved into the second lane towards town,and not as I anticipated towards Derek Dooley Way.

Why do drivers do this .Cant they stand being overtaken.

There are precious few junctions where you need to move immediately into the outer lane in anticipation of a right turn but so many drivers do so as a matter of course.

It's bad driving .

I feel better for that.Thank you.

In some people's minds, they believe they are doing nothing wrong. Either that or they are just ignorant and selfish and think it is 'their' lane.

Stay in the left lane unless you are overtaking, and use both lanes if the road is busy, it's not difficult really.

I think on the Parkway people do it out of habit of driving down there in a morning when its choc a bloc and then they become incapable of switching lanes. Either that or they are not confident at switching lanes at all so dart straight for the lane they need at the end of that road.

Just to flip this point of view. If people allowed you to change lane and didn't see it as some sort of degradation of their masculinity, people would be more happy to use the lanes accordingly.

So what of the other 50% of drivers who aren't really worried about their 'masculinity' ????

It's worse on 4-lane motorways. Lanes 3 and 4 tend to be full of cars; lanes 1 and 2 are often empty. So you get cars chugging along in lane 3 with two empty lanes to the left and a queue of cars trying to get past them in lane 4.

I think it's been suggested that drivers stay in lane because they feel it's safer than changing lanes.

It's rather odd that in the UK you can't drive on motorways until you pass your test but there is no training required for motorway driving when you do pass.

It's really only undertaking if you pass a vehicle on the inside then pull immediately back in front of the offending vehicle. If you pass on the inside and continue in the same lane it is merely travelling in a lane which happens to be moving faster than others. (I do it often)

Imagine not passing on the inside when a motorway starts slowing down.......9 times out of 10 the outside lane is far slower than the nearside lane!! This is because people call it the 'fast lane' and assume it will be, but regular users of motorways know different.

Similar to slip road misuse but that should be another thread.