FIFA say the poppy is a political symbol.

How pathetic that FIFA say that national teams cannot wear the poppy on their shirts as they class it as a political symbol. They want to think, if it wasn't for all the people that gave their lives for world peace there might never have been a corrupt organisation called FIFA.

How pathetic that FIFA say that national teams cannot wear the poppy on their shirts as they class it as a political symbol. They want to think, if it wasn't for all the people that gave their lives for world peace there might never have been a corrupt organisation called FIFA.

the players who want to should wear these no matter what!! what are FIFA going to do call the game off and p off the tv companies?? think not

But it is a political symbol right? I'm all for allowing people to wear it, but I think it is a symbol of overcoming political conflicts, and therefore is political in nature.

its not a symbol of conflict or overcoming anything its a symbol of remembrance for those that died . lest we forget!!

Yes, but they died overcoming a political conflict. Of course it is remembering those that died fighting for our political struggle.

I'm really not trying to take away from the memory or the meaning, but it is also a political symbol.

I think you've got a point. But if we're going down that road, is a flag not a political symbol? How many parties, across the globe use the flag as a political symbol?