FIFA say the poppy is a political symbol.

If you're going to reduce it to that, then no teams should be allowed to play, full stop. Teams from different countries all against each other are nothing more than tribes, us against them.

Perhaps we would have a better world if we didn't, but that's a bit bigger statement than I was trying to make. Ultimately a flag is a symbol of a country, a poppy is a symbol of commemorating a countries soldiers, who will inevitably have killed soldiers from other countries whose dead with don't commemorate...surely you can understand why I and some others have minor reservations over the poppy?

---------- Post added 08-11-2016 at 14:43 ----------

Keep politics out of sport because at times sport is the only common denominator and point of contact between countries.

I didn't agree with Southgate's comment because once again individuals are imposing their beliefs on a group of people.

Let them make their own contribution,or not to the British Legion and its' work and if they want ,wear their poppies on their suits.

As a gesture of remembrance it has had little effect on putting an end to wars .

Thatcher and Blair contributed to the casualties for political expediency.

I contribute because I think that the British Legion does help those who are the casualties of successive governments.

Total agreement with this.

Just seen on the news FIFA have started the disciplinary proceedings against the FA and SFA. They are now saying should fans have been allowed to have flags with poppies on and that the FA should have got approval to play the Last Post and a minutes silence. What a set of beeping ******s, are these people for real, how would they have stopped fans who had flags with poppies on, it would have caused a riot.

Just seen on the news FIFA have started the disciplinary proceedings against the FA and SFA. They are now saying should fans have been allowed to have flags with poppies on and that the FA should have got approval to play the Last Post and a minutes silence. What a set of beeping ******s, are these people for real, how would they have stopped fans who had flags with poppies on, it would have caused a riot.

FIFA is annoyed because they showed the poppy on a big screen, played the Last Post, the silence and that they gave away T shirts bearing the poppy to fans. As well as ignoring their ruling about players not being allowed to wear the poppy. No one ever said the fans couldn't wear poppies.

Yes, they are for real. Read the story though aye?

Edited by Santo

FIFA is annoyed because they showed the poppy on a big screen, played the Last Post, the silence and that they gave away T shirts bearing the poppy to fans. As well as ignoring their ruling about players not being allowed to wear the poppy. No one ever said the fans couldn't wear poppies.

Yes, they are for real. Read the story though aye?

On the BBC news it said FIFA were looking at whether fans should have been allowed to have flags with poppies on, I never mentioned anything about fans not being allowed to wear poppies. Read my post?

On the BBC news it said FIFA were looking at whether fans should have been allowed to have flags with poppies on, I never mentioned anything about fans not being allowed to wear poppies. Read my post?

Yes, unfortunately, hence why I replied. I thought you showed poor understanding of why FIFA are taking action Ian.

As for the flag thing; if the British media hadn't whipped up the country into such a frenzy over what seems to be quite a reasonable rule I doubt there would have been any flags.

Edited by Santo

FIFA's 'normal' conduct suggests that its members don't wear poppies but smoke them...

What a shower they are: highly paid but unelected other than by their mates- yet claiming to represent the good of the game.

Who needs 'em?

.........well we are at last leaving the EU Jeffrey!

So, FIFA think we may have broken their rules regarding the wearing of poppies and allowing them on flags, etc but of course, the sponsors are encouraged on the shirts and around the grounds, and in the half-time ads, etc are they too then not 'political' symbols, because they all have their political associations?

Is banning and threatening legal action against small local companies wanting to make a profit in the run up and during the world cup because they are not 'Official Sponsors' not political?

Would FIFA even exist today without the ultimate sacrifices ex-servicemen from across the globe gave in bygone years?

How much do FIFA rake in every year? Where does it come from? Is FIFA worth it? Should we pay fines for England and Scotland teams wearing poppies/armbands?