Taxis at Sheffield train station

Like the OP I regularly collect from the station and often have to queue to get into the multi-storey. I check live train arrival times online so I'm usually only there for 5-10 minutes.

There are a lot of taxis, but if a major train arrives that 30+ can reduce to almost zero in those 10 minutes. It's very clear to see that the cause of the blockages is those who wait in the drop off zone. I've seen vehicles left without a driver and it's common for cars to have the engine off. For the disabled it must be very inconvenient when they can't easily get to trains.

At airports that restriction is enforced. Ash correctly identifies bad planning and implementation, but we can't all park in the same place at the same time. Those who are able bodied should use the free facilities provided. Those who are infirm should have priority. It's not rocket science and handing out penalties would not be unreasonable.

Of course we may be missing a fact of modern life. 60 years ago most of us would have gone for a frequent bus service to get to and from the station. By clogging the roads with cars and taxis we've ensured bus services are less frequent, and in some cases slower than they were. Although cycling, running and gym based activities are so popular, we've become more addicted to car use than ever. Convenience, of course, despite the price.

At least the obstruction caused by the building work will soon be gone and the new building must be an improvement on the decaying property that used to be there. But we really ought to look at the impression a visitor gets when arriving and leaving Sheffield by train

Edited by 1978

The thing I can't understand is why so many taxis go to the railway station and loose money in a queue rather than call in at the bus station, because I have seen people there fuming because there are no taxis?

I explained in my last post. They pay a lot of money to queue there. Town ranks are generally full, and driving around looking for fares costs (at quiet times) too much in fuel. On average black cabs take £9/hour in fares from the station rank, which is considerably more than anywhere else.

Black cabs cannot rank up in the bus station. The few that you occasionally see there have special permits too. There aren't many though. I think there are about 140 train station permits.

Like the OP I regularly collect from the station and often have to queue to get into the multi-storey. I check live train arrival times online so I'm usually only there for 5-10 minutes.

There are a lot of taxis, but if a major train arrives that 30+ can reduce to almost zero in those 10 minutes. It's very clear to see that the cause of the blockages is those who wait in the drop off zone. I've seen vehicles left without a driver and it's common for cars to have the engine off. For the disabled it must be very inconvenient when they can't easily get to trains.

At airports that restriction is enforced. Ash correctly identifies bad planning and implementation, but we can't all park in the same place at the same time. Those who are able bodied should use the free facilities provided. Those who are infirm should have priority. It's not rocket science and handing out penalties would not be unreasonable.

I can't commend this post enough.

Of course we may be missing a fact of modern life. 60 years ago most of us would have gone for a frequent bus service to get to and from the station. By clogging the roads with cars and taxis we've ensured bus services are less frequent, and in some cases slower than they were. Although cycling, running and gym based activities are so popular, we've become more addicted to car use than ever. Convenience, of course, despite the price.

At least the obstruction caused by the building work will soon be gone and the new building must be an improvement on the decaying property that used to be there. But we really ought to look at the impression a visitor gets when arriving and leaving Sheffield by train

I can't commend this post enough. We have become an enfeebled generation, drooling in a stupor if deprived of technology. I had a home hair cut booked for 6 last night. She rang at 7 and said "My sat nav can't find it".

I've noticed this too, I don't do it often but if I am collecting anyone at Sheffield station I wait in the short stay car park. Unfortunately that too is always full, yet drivers still enter it thinking they can turn on a sixpence and leave again, instead they end up blocking everyone else in!

The stupid thing is, that massive space in front of the station is wasted. The pedestrian area looks good and the waterfalls are nice etc, etc. But just imagine how much easier and better it would have been to use that for the taxis and parking instead, giving us all much more room to do the dropping off and collecting.

I explained in my last post. They pay a lot of money to queue there. Town ranks are generally full, and driving around looking for fares costs (at quiet times) too much in fuel. On average black cabs take £9/hour in fares from the station rank, which is considerably more than anywhere else.

Black cabs cannot rank up in the bus station. The few that you occasionally see there have special permits too. There aren't many though. I think there are about 140 train station permits.

O'k ash. I suppose what I should have said is that the powers that be ought to do something to help people at the bus station who can't get a taxi. Probably a start would be to issue more special permits for the bus station.

O'k ash. I suppose what I should have said is that the powers that be ought to do something to help people at the bus station who can't get a taxi. Probably a start would be to issue more special permits for the bus station.

Yeah perhaps. Or even let us pick up there, would be a start! As it is, people are advised to meet us at the Penny Black or the Queens, but often out of towners don't know where that is.

For your information there is no official taxi rank in the bus station and the amount of cabs that pay to rank at the rail station is approximately 240.

---------- Post added 04-11-2016 at 21:48 ----------

For your information there is no official taxi rank in the bus station and the amount of cabs that pay to rank at the rail station is approximately 240.

Ps cabs unofficialy rank inside the bus station Road but it is the electric works land

---------- Post added 04-11-2016 at 21:48 ----------

Ps cabs unofficialy rank inside the bus station Road but it is the electric works land

I didn't reaslise it was as high as 240. I'm probably thinking pre-temporary dereg of numbers. It's still only about a quarter. Given their current value, I'd say the other 3/4 must be doing really bad in the day!

As for the bus station, well I was part right!

Black cabs cannot rank up in the bus station.

Thinking about it, it's probably not in the bus station interest to have a specific rank. With all the GPS technology now, if one of the new electric signs says x mins for the next bus, it might encourage/temp people to fork out for a taxi instead.