Anyone bought property in Ireland?

Whilst browsing the internet i noticed that the property in Ireland seems really cheap, rural cottages seem to be two a penny and well over half the cost of one over here, has anyone purchased any property over there? is the property cheap because there is little work over there? from what i understand the economy crashed but is now on the up, any views are welcomed.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

you buying something?

Property was always cheaper in the countryside than some of the more popular and populated cities such as Dublin, Galway etc.

During the Celtic Tiger (boom) property went expensive, there was much investment from overseas such as I.T companies, big EU loans improved the country's infrastructure, roads etc.

Then when the global markets crashed, debts were recalled, and things went downhill.

Jobs became less, and the highly educated youth have once again left the country in droves looking for better opportunities overseas.

Hence the lower prices in property.

As you say, the economy is (allegedly) picking up gradually, but it is very doubtful it will ever reach the dizzy heights of the Celtic Tiger which was built on borrowed money.

By the way, I have an old cottage in co. Roscommon

you buying something?

Property was always cheaper in the countryside than some of the more popular and populated cities such as Dublin, Galway etc.

During the Celtic Tiger (boom) property went expensive, there was much investment from overseas such as I.T companies, big EU loans improved the country's infrastructure, roads etc.

Then when the global markets crashed, debts were recalled, and things went downhill.

Jobs became less, and the highly educated youth have once again left the country in droves looking for better opportunities overseas.

As you say, the economy is (allegedly) picking up gradually, but it is very doubtful it will ever reach the dizzy heights of the Celtic Tiger which was built on borrowed money.

Lucky you.....i have not been to Roscommon yet, i will put it on my places to visit

thanks for your opinions and thoughts, muchly appreciated...

Its something i have been thinking about, but still having to work for a living is a pain, but i will seriously consider it later for retirement, or even perhaps buy one now for a holiday home and rent it out...

I love Ireland, me and my partner go over every year and tour about, i could really see myself settled down in an old Irish cottage...

Do you have any problems with the cottage, damp etc, how do you find it size wize?

this is what i came across

and the guy then gave me the link now its been restored and up for sale

http://www.daft.ie/mayo/houses-for-sale/swinford/lisbrogan-swinford-mayo-1130575/

but i have found some cottages going far far cheaper than that

you buying something?

We sold a small cottage we owned in Bunratty, County Clare for 125,000 Euros about three years ago to a family relative. It is close to Shannon Airport which to this day is still a source of jobs, though less than it used to be. I could have asked for a lot more but decided it would be in good hands this way. As it happens the Euro is tanking, and the value of the house has not gone down for the present owner.

Damp, rain and water damage; the worst problems are definitely weather related.

I've had burst pipes, condensation and rising damp.

had to rip out floors and replace them, adding damp proof membranes.

Had a local digger man run me a drain, taking water off the land and diverting it towards ditches, and off to streams, rivers.

internally, re-rendering, adding a waterproofer on low part of walls.

It's taking shape now, but not being lived in or heated for long periods of time I have had to make these changes.

The West of Ireland is a wet place, a bit like the Pennines!