British Gymnast Banned For "Mocking" Religion

Feel free to explain your point in a rational manner and then you might get an answer.

I was referring to the fact that he was mucking about in private. It's the fact that the video's master it's way into the public realm that made it a problem. Many people would be offended to see him carrying out sex acts, should he become celibate?

I was referring to the fact that he was mucking about in private. It's the fact that the video's master it's way into the public realm that made it a problem. Many people would be offended to see him carrying out sex acts, should he become celibate?

Obviously making it into the public domain made it actionable as they would never have found out otherwise. Having sex in private (assuming it wasnt with minors etc) would have been legal and not in breach of the rules.

He is an ambassador for British gymnastics, which stresses equality and tolerance. He is in breach of that code of conduct. A revelation about him having sex in private is different to one where we see him being ignorant and intolerant.

The only reason he is famous is because British Gymnastics let him join their organisation.

He had already been warned about his conduct.

He pleaded guilty btw.

ps its not about what people find offensive, its whether or not he followed the code of conduct.

Edited by 999tigger

Obviously making it into the public domain made it actionable as they would never have found out otherwise. Having sex in private (assuming it wasnt with minors etc) would have been legal and not in breach of the rules.

He is an ambassador for British gymnastics, which stresses equality and tolerance. He is in breach of that code of conduct. A revelation about him having sex in private is different to one where we see him being ignorant and intolerant.

The only reason he is famous is because British Gymnastics let him join their organisation.

He had already been warned about his conduct.

He pleaded guilty btw.

Plead guilty? Are you still talking about Louis Smith? Nothing Louis Smith did was illegal - it breached the Standards of Conduct of British Gymnastics, but was far from being illegal. I think that is the point that Rootsbooster was getting at.

Plead guilty? Are you still talking about Louis Smith? Nothing Louis Smith did was illegal - it breached the Standards of Conduct of British Gymnastics, but was far from being illegal. I think that is the point that Rootsbooster was getting at.

So banned for not breaking the law but if he had broke the law doing 35 mph in a 30 limit he wouldn't have been punished.

Absolutely. There's a huge difference between what one does in one's private life and what one does in one's professional life. Everyone has a right to a private life - everyone. Personally, I wouldn't have grovelled in the way that he has done, and he's lost my respect for that. He should have stood up for himself, but then it's easy to say that when one isn't being threatened with death by a bunch of delusional mediaeval psychopaths guaranteed free-reign by lefty libtards.

Sorry wrong term of phrase. he admitted his behaviour was in breach and did not contest the claim brought against him.

Nope I think you are missing the whole point. It doesnt have to be criminally legal, the sanction is that of a private organisation whose rules he has agreed to abide by. They are prefectly entitled to sanction him in this manner, which was really the objection the OP had. No different from any other sport sanctioning one of their members.

---------- Post added 06-11-2016 at 18:09 ----------

I read the rules and assumed they only apply whilst they are a participant.

The rules come under this title.

Part 3: Required Standards of Conduct

8. British Gymnastics expects the highest standards of conduct from Participants, who have a responsibility to ensure that their behaviour and actions meet the high standards expected of them. All Participants are required:

It looks to me like the rules apply whilst they are at an sporting event and not whilst they are out on a night out, he wasn't a participant during the time he was drinking and messing around.

Nope you should read teh whole rules including appendix 2. there are rules in regards competition but also ongoing code of behaviour whilst not competing. This is becayse they are seen as ambassadors for the sport.