Tyre Pressure Question.

I had two tyres fitted recently on my Zafira at a place on St Mary's Gate. Driving on the motorway the following day, the car became difficult to control approaching 70 mph. I checked the pressure of the two new (rear) tyres and found that they were on 45 psi and not the recommended 26-28 psi.

Was this dangerous?

I had two tyres fitted recently on my Zafira at a place on St Mary's Gate. Driving on the motorway the following day, the car became difficult to control approaching 70 mph. I checked the pressure of the two new (rear) tyres and found that they were on 45 psi and not the recommended 26-28 psi.

Was this dangerous?

driving at 70 mph in a Zafira is very dangerous lol

Was this dangerous?

The recommended pressure is 31/34, at least that is what google says. I am thinking about buying a Zafira next year.

I am surprised that you could tell the difference. Tyre pressures on my minibus are 65psi, so I dont think it would harm the tyres.

Was this dangerous?

Less grip on the road which means a longer breaking distance, more likely to puncture and they will wear out faster.

I had driven it at 70 mph before without the 'boneshaker ride' so I knew it had to be the tyres. I thought he hadn't balanced them. It makes sense there is less tyre gripping the road, I wondered at what the increased risk of a blowout would be.

---------- Post added 05-11-2016 at 22:57 ----------

The recommended pressure is 31/34, at least that is what google says. I am thinking about buying a Zafira next year.

I am surprised that you could tell the difference. Tyre pressures on my minibus are 65psi, so I dont think it would harm the tyres.

I could tell the difference as soon as I got over 65. The feedback through the steering wheel and suspension was alarming.

So you've dropped the pressure to 32psi and taken it upto 70mph again to make sure nothing else is amiss?

I dropped the pressure to 28 and took it up to 80mph briefly on the way home and it was fine. No noise and no vibration.