Lower benefits cap

Do the government/council operate schemes to help people move from high rental area's to those with much lower costs?

Obviously being dependant on benefits makes it hard to relocate.

No, they don't. There is a website where you can swap with anyone in the country if they want to swap with you but you don't get removal costs paid and it would cost hundreds.

No, they don't. There is a website where you can swap with anyone in the country if they want to swap with you but you don't get removal costs paid and it would cost hundreds.

this is where the system falls down and becomes unfair

I think we should also ask ourselves whether we want to force families to be split up across the country. I can't afford to live anywhere near my parents who are quite old. They are in good health now but it can't last. It's going to be very difficult for me to care for them when the time comes as well as caring for my kids. Is that good or bad? Surely it's bad. Expensive housing is the source of so many of our problems in this country, it would be so much better for everyone if it were a lot cheaper. We should focus on getting a lot more housing built rather than only addressing the symptoms of the problem.

I think we should also ask ourselves whether we want to force families to be split up across the country. I can't afford to live anywhere near my parents who are quite old. They are in good health now but it can't last. It's going to be very difficult for me to care for them when the time comes as well as caring for my kids. Is that good or bad? Surely it's bad. Expensive housing is the source of so many of our problems in this country, it would be so much better for everyone if it were a lot cheaper. We should focus on getting a lot more housing built rather than only addressing the symptoms of the problem.

well it is really social economic cleansing of certain areas, All governments are responsible for the lack of public housing and rent control. Thatcher legacy of enslaving the population to aspire to own their own house, hard to strike if you got a mortgage.

That's not the only solution. You can either increase supply or reduce demand. We live in a beautiful but small country that cannot sustain the population growth we're experiencing, so do we really want to see more of our countryside concreted over and turned into housing estates?

One way of lowering the demand for affordable housing would be to reduce immigration, as that's where the vast unsustainable population growth is coming from. Wouldn't that be preferable to building more houses?

That's not the only solution. You can either increase supply or reduce demand. We live in a beautiful but small country that cannot sustain the population growth we're experiencing, so do we really want to see more of our countryside concreted over and turned into housing estates?

One way of lowering the demand for affordable housing would be to reduce immigration, as that's where the vast unsustainable population growth is coming from. Wouldn't that be preferable to building more houses?

we have plenty of space to build, a fraction of our country is build on, the problem is build more, the cost of housing goes down, the knock on to mortgage owner is that many will go into negative equity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096

This.

If you're already living on the bread line then you're kinda stuck where you are.

Re-locating to somewhere cheaper isn't much of an option.

---------- Post added 10-11-2016 at 17:22 ----------

I think we should also ask ourselves whether we want to force families to be split up across the country. I can't afford to live anywhere near my parents who are quite old.

I find myself living some distance from my parents, who in turn lived quite some distance from their parents.

ok no-one was forced to make those decisions but we moved for work and such.

I don't think any great emphasis should be put on staying in one place, if the grass is greener and all that then go.

This.

If you're already living on the bread line then you're kinda stuck where you are.

I find myself living some distance from my parents, who in turn lived quite some distance from their parents.

I don't think any great emphasis should be put on staying in one place, if the grass is greener and all that then go.

but what if you dont have funds to move, thats the point.

This.

It's fine to choose to move away, but surely it's better if people have the choice rather than being forced into it. When did it become a good thing to make people move away from their families?