Lower benefits cap

Not really.

I wouldn't bring (another) child into the world without being clear in my mind I can provide for them.

Clearly she had three and was under the previous benefits cap, but then went and had number 4 anyway (it's a baby).

---------- Post added 07-11-2016 at 11:26 ----------

well the dad could be dead.

Then she should have a comfortable life insurance payment to rely on.

because if you have 4 kids to provide for you damn sure better have insurance to cover your family should the worst happen.

Not really.

I wouldn't bring (another) child into the world without being clear in my mind I can provide for them.

Clearly she had three and was under the previous benefits cap, but then went and had number 4 anyway (it's a baby).

Nor would most people. And such behaviour should be deterred. But we're interested in adults suffering for the consequences of their actions, not children suffering for the consequences of their irresponsible parents. Surely?!?

I dont get how a single (non-disabled) person can claim anywhere near "£257.69 per week (£13,400 a year) for single people"

I was wrong earlier.

Benefits which are included in the cap

The cap will apply to your combined income from:

Bereavement Allowance

Child Benefit

Child Tax Credit

Employment and Support Allowance - except where it's paid with the support component

Housing Benefit - although there are some exceptions

Incapacity Benefit

Income support

Jobseeker's Allowance

Maternity Allowance

Severe Disablement Allowance

Widowed Parent's Allowance

Widowed Mother's Allowance

Widow's Pension.

Which benefits aren't included in the cap?

The following benefits aren't included when working out whether your total benefit income is more than the cap:

Council Tax Reduction

Pension Credit

State Retirement Pension

one off payments made by your local authority to help you out in a crisis

Winter Fuel and Cold Weather Payments

a short term benefit advance from the DWP to help you out over a crisis until your first benefit payment

non-cash benefits, for example, free school meals

Statutory Sick Pay

Statutory Maternity Pay, Paternity Pay, Adoption Pay, Statutory Shared Parental Pay.

Some benefits are not included in either of the above lists because they exempt you from the Benefit Cap altogether.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/the-benefit-cap/the-benefit-cap-and-housing-benefit/the-benefit-cap-and-housing-benefit-which-benefits-are-included/

Edited by 999tigger

It is a maximum and its because it includes all benefits. That would mean housing benefit or if you have a disability.

The cap most certainly does not include DLA or PIP. Where are you getting your information?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/the-benefit-cap/the-benefit-cap-and-housing-benefit/the-benefit-cap-and-housing-benefit-who-is-exempt/

Not really.

---------- Post added 07-11-2016 at 11:26 ----------

Then she should have a comfortable life insurance payment to rely on.

because if you have 4 kids to provide for you damn sure better have insurance to cover your family should the worst happen.

A bloke on radio Sheffield said this morning we are all just an accident away from being in the same boat. I thought no not all of us, I have an insurance policy that will pay my wages up to retirement if I can no longer work.

I don't wish to rely on the tax payer to look after me, I would prefer to remain independent.

It is a maximum and its because it includes all benefits. That would mean housing benefit or if you have a disability.

It does not include all benefits. DLA payments aren't included, neither are PIP payments. Guardian's Allowance or Carer's Allowance won't be affected by todays cap either.

https://www.gov.uk/benefit-cap/benefits-included-in-the-cap

Nor would most people. And such behaviour should be deterred. But we're interested in adults suffering for the consequences of their actions, not children suffering for the consequences of their irresponsible parents. Surely?!?

You can't separate the two, I think any attempt to change things further would be seen as too draconian unfortunately.

---------- Post added 07-11-2016 at 11:53 ----------

A bloke on radio Sheffield said this morning we are all just an accident away from being in the same boat. I thought no not all of us, I have an insurance policy that will pay my wages up to retirement if I can no longer work.

I don't wish to rely on the tax payer to look after me, I would prefer to remain independent.

Same here.

All it takes is one nasty car crash and your life is changed forever.

It can happen to anyone, just look at that polish truck driver in the news last week.

Messing around on his phone and drove his lorry into the back of stationary traffic.

But while ever the payment goes to the parents the children will still suffer.

As did i at one time - then the time arrives when the insurance money is needed to put food on the table.