The best Government?

I certainly dont agree to give some people a £30,000 gift from tax payers money, and others not.

There was something on radio four about this, rent a house for 25 years, and then you own the house.

That's called a mortgage.

The biggest aspect of many peoples lives is being allowed to buy your own council house, with the equivalent to 2 years salary discount.

So if someone had to have been renting the property for 3 years before being able to buy (and they've paid 3 years rent, which is generally similar to a mortgage payment), and they get a discount of 2 years salary, it pretty much evens out.

Isn't that just like the incentives by governments recently to help 1st time buyers by effectively removing the saving of the deposit?

So if someone had to have been renting the property for 3 years before being able to buy (and they've paid 3 years rent, which is generally similar to a mortgage payment), and they get a discount of 2 years salary, it pretty much evens out.

Isn't that just like the incentives by governments recently to help 1st time buyers by effectively removing the saving of the deposit?

It's all just tinkering, when what's really needed is to address the shortage of housing stock.

It's all just tinkering, when what's really needed is to address the shortage of housing stock.

Yes, agreed. I was just pointing out that El Cid seems to dislike something, that isn't really any different to any newer things that both Goverments have done since!

My view on them was that the money should go to building newer ones, but McBeth's point was something I hadn't considered. At the time the money was just thrown into the whole system of course as a money maker in bad times.

I still think more was achieved with this way of making money for the country than the later methods with things like PFI.

Yes, agreed. I was just pointing out that El Cid seems to dislike something, that isn't really any different to any newer things that both Goverments have done since!

My view on them was that the money should go to building newer ones, but McBeth's point was something I hadn't considered. At the time the money was just thrown into the whole system of course to make the figures better.

I still think more was achieved with this way of making money for the country than the later methods with things like PFI.

Well yes I agree with your analysis overall.

Very big tinkering.

---------- Post added 07-11-2016 at 22:03 ----------

I seem to remember Cameron talking about a happiness index, which I guess is a pretty admirable, albeit immeasurable, target. I don't know happiness has fluctuated over the decades but I would think it isn't positive.

52% of the population SHOULD be happy.