When will the political left change/learn?

I'm going to post this and only this.

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=jeAI-8eoC-k

Some of you need to think about it very very hard

Brilliant :thumbsup:

Good decision to keep out of it disco. I don't mind chatting with people on here who I respect (whether left/right/in/out/whatever).

-

You've got a valid point about the potential collapse of the eu. My mate is sure it will happen and it's not a stretch to see it shrink down to france, Germany and the Benelux countries.

Yes I agree with your mate tin. It's what I said before the ref. though I actually said countries 'with similar economies and cultures'... but my responders just picked up on my use of the word 'cultures'.

A word about remain voters. If you ask leave voters if they thought the EU was crap 100% would say yes. Ask remainers the same question, I'd bet half would also say yes. I would. It's ripe for reform, proper reform not the dogs breakfast Cameron brought back. But I don't like change, neither does the economy.

Yep.

Maybe so. So what? Everyone has an opinion and everyone else's stinks.

The problem would be if Kate became PM and enacted such a rule.

It was Churchill that said the best argument against democracy is to meet the average voter.

Churchill was the right person at the right time, did not last long after though

Edited by phil752

So you have a belief, you have no evidence, and because I suggest that you might perhaps look at the evidence, question something, challenge yourself, I'm somehow "sneering". Hell, since I care about evidence I'm probably part of the liberal elite right?

I don't think anybody thinks you're part of any elite.

Personally I always think of David Brent.

I wouldn't be as perjorative as that. The thing with globalisation is that it creates clear winners and losers, so there will be a lot of people in China who are doing way better than they ever did who think globalisation (the free movement of money and businesses and to a lesser extent workers) is the best thing since steamed buns. But then there are people in Sunderland and the Welsh Valleys who think it's terrible; those people used to have jobs for life in industries that were protected to some degree from the uncertainties of global capitalism. People like certainty and security, humanity has striven for millenia to achieve it and now we have globalised capital and it takes certainty away. For example, even while the Chinese economy was booming on the back of low wages some companies like Honda decided that Chinese workers were already 'too expensive' and relocated to Burma. So just as you think you have got some security and stability you realise it can all be taken away. This didn't happen nearly so much before the rise of the multinational corporations, able to move their operations to wherever is cheapest.

So it's understandable that people want to push back against that, a great example being the 2008 crisis. People in the UK lost their jobs and many people lost their homes and their businesses because of problems in the mortgage market in the USA. No-one asked for that and it makes people feel vulnerable; whatever they do here and whoever they vote for here, they get the backlash from problems created somewhere thousands of miles away.

The problem is that the political parties who promise a return to the good old days tend to be made up of people from exactly the economic class that benefits from globalisation (I'm looking at you Nigel Farage, Douglas Carswell and Donald Trump) so from where I'm standing it looks like a massive con. Boris Johnson surely doesn't give a toss about middle aged unemployed manual workers in Whitehaven. The irony is that for all his faults, Corbyn is one politician who seems keen to reverse globalisation as much as he can, with renationalisation and so forth, but the people who might benefit from these policies have been turned against them by the very people who benefit from globalisation themselves!

Quoted for truth, that's what I was trying to convey you said it much more eloquently.

Unfortunately the irony of voting for people who benefit from the very thing that they claim they're going to overturn is lost on a lot of people.

I think sgtkate wants to go back to the middle ages where only noblemen voted and the proletariat got no rights and knew their place,right at the bottom.

I don't know how you could have interpreted it like that, she's been really clear that she just wants people of all stripes to do their research better before voting. What's to argue about that?

I think sgtkate wants to go back to the middle ages where only noblemen voted and the proletariat got no rights and knew their place,right at the bottom.

sounds more like the right wing to me, want to drag us back to the dark ages just like the islamic extremists Oo