When will the political left change/learn?

They spend 3.5% of GDP on national defence and 17.2% on healthcare.

Damn it's those pesky facts again.

The thing about facts is that as well as being correct, they should also be relevant.

In this case, perhaps Government spending is a better measure than GDP. I can't imagine that US citizens spend their own cash on the military, so GDP isn't a good indicator.

Over the last few years, Millitary spending has taken about 40% of the US tax take, Health spending is roughly half of that.

On that basis, there is a clear opportunity for a switch in priorities, if the US Government want to.

The thing about facts is that as well as being correct, they should also be relevant.

In this case, perhaps Government spending is a better measure than GDP. I can't imagine that US citizens spend their own cash on the military, so GDP isn't a good indicator.

Over the last few years, Millitary spending has taken about 40% of the US tax take, Health spending is roughly half of that.

On that basis, there is a clear opportunity for a switch in priorities, if the US Government want to.

Let's take 2015:

https://www.nationalpriorities.org/budget-basics/federal-budget-101/spending/

Total federal budget: $3.8tn

Healthcare spending: $1tn

Defence spending: $0.6tn

So even if we ignore the vast amount of money going into healthcare without first passing through the federal government, which is completely illegitimate, you're still completely wrong.

That's quite interesting actually. $3125/person in the US, and they still need private healthcare to actually get reasonable care.

UK £110 billion £1775/person, and healthcare free at the point of delivery for everyone.

Difficult to compare the two values by conversion as the exchange rate is doing odd things at the moment. If we took £1 = $1.50 as a long term average then we spend in the same sort of area, but we achieve so much more with the NHS.

That's quite interesting actually. $3125/person in the US, and they still need private healthcare to actually get reasonable care.

UK £110 billion £1775/person, and healthcare free at the point of delivery for everyone.

Difficult to compare the two values by conversion as the exchange rate is doing odd things at the moment. If we took £1 = $1.50 as a long term average then we spend in the same sort of area, but we achieve so much more with the NHS.

Quite so.

Unlike most of the state/private hybrid systems on the continent, the US system seems completely knackered.

well the democrats threw Bernie sanders under the bus thus they were doomed with such a disliked figure as hillary

Agreed. Trumps victory is in part due to the Democrats fielding such a disliked candidate. One that was so insulated from the population, she didn't know or understand why she was disliked, she had no feel for the people and this is why she lost.

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 14:31 ----------

What facts? They're my opinion, which I believe I'm entitled to.

America has just elected the vilest man possible to the highest position in the land. What do you credit this seismic shift in politics to?

I credit it to a sizeable preparation of the population that had no desire to move forward and eventually got fed up and voted against the establishment. They felt left behind because they made no effort to keep up. Its the baby boomers once again, screwing it all up for the proceeding generations. This is the same reason why Brexit happened.

Edited by Berberis

Agreed. Trumps victory is in part due to the Democrats fielding such a disliked candidate. One that was so insulated from the population, she didn't know or understand why she was disliked, she had no feel for the people and this is why she lost.

---------- Post added 09-11-2016 at 14:31 ----------

I credit it to a sizeable preparation of the population that had no desire to move forward and eventually got fed up and voted against the establishment. They felt left behind because they made no effort to keep up. Its the baby boomers once again, screwing it all up for the proceeding generations. This is the same reason why Brexit happened.

They do say listen to you elders

He's already said that he will remove Obamacare, so he's clearly not planning on improving the health services for regular people in the US.

Well, while not defending Trump in anyway, we don't have Obamacare yet our health service is better than the US. There are many ways to improve things whilst still removing Obamacare if he choses to.