London tram overturned, at least 7 dead.

I`ve always considered trams to be a very safe mode of transport in respect of them being turned over like a coach, and I`m sure they are. According to the news, this tram was travelling faster than permitted on the specific part of track.

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) said the tram was travelling at a "significantly higher speed than is permitted".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37919658

This obvious only made the smaller headlines today. Very sad news all the same.

I`ve always considered trams to be a very safe mode of transport in respect of them being turned over like a coach, and I`m sure they are. According to the news, this tram was travelling faster than permitted on the specific part of track.

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) said the tram was travelling at a "significantly higher speed than is permitted".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-37919658

I wonder how automated they are (even with a driver in there)

We see Sheffield tram take some really tight corners (and it sounds like it's struggling too) The Glossop Rd Upper Hanover springs to mind.

I wonder if the driver could speed into it if they wanted to? I think there are a few drivers on here, but they probably aren't allowed to comment on things on social media.

This obvious only made the smaller headlines today. Very sad news all the same.

I wonder how automated they are (even with a driver in there)

We see Sheffield tram take some really tight corners (and it sounds like it's struggling too) The Glossop Rd Upper Hanover springs to mind.

I wonder if the driver could speed into it if they wanted to? I think there are a few drivers on here, but they probably aren't allowed to comment on things on social media.

Yes they could but they don't as they are professional. Also they are "watched" more and so could lose their jobs.

Tram operation uses far less levels of safety than a train for the simple reason that the masses and driving speeds are much lower.

Most systems do dot have signals that if passed at excessive speed or at red stop the tram. They do not have systems that keep the driver awake. They do not have systems which prevent two trams being in the same place at the same time. Power cannot be cut off automatically. Drivers use "line of sight" to distance themselves and line side instructions for turn out position and precedence at junctions. On roads, they also are subject to the same laws as other vehicles.

Tram-trains will be like trams except between Meadowhall South and Parkgate will behave exactly like a train. That's why it is a trial. That's why it is taking so long.

Yes they could but they don't as they are professional. Also they are "watched" more and so could lose their jobs.

Tram operation uses far less levels of safety than a train for the simple reason that the masses and driving speeds are much lower.

Most systems do dot have signals that if passed at excessive speed or at red stop the tram. They do not have systems that keep the driver awake. They do not have systems which prevent two trams being in the same place at the same time. Power cannot be cut off automatically. Drivers use "line of sight" to distance themselves and line side instructions for turn out position and precedence at junctions. On roads, they also are subject to the same laws as other vehicles.

Tram-trains will be like trams except between Meadowhall South and Parkgate will behave exactly like a train. That's why it is a trial. That's why it is taking so long.

Thanks AB. So looking at the pictures, it looks like they taken this tight corner too fast, if it's a similar sysyem.