Winter tyres - recommendations needed

44 years driving in my case, and I also never got stuck on summer tyres. There were occasions when I didn't venture out or parked away from home to avoid particular severe stretches.

However, since I fitted winter grade tyres about 4 or 5 years ago, the grip, traction and overall safety has improved dramatically on the odd occasions of snow and ice.

However good a driver you are, you cannot beat basic physics. The grip, and therefore traction, braking and cornering of summer tyres on snow is vastly inferior to that for winter tyres. I posted some test results on the winter megathread. They show a big falloff in performance for summer tyres in comparison to winter tyres.

Also, as others have said, winter tyres are not just for snow, there is still a safety benefit in cold weather.

A helmet is also a safety benefit, will you be wearing one of them lol

I've never had winter tyres in the 46 years I've been driving.

Never got stuck...and only left the road on sheet ice once many years ago at a speed of 5mph.

We don't have much snow in this country so I see them as a waste of money.

Perhaps the money would be better spent on advanced driving lessons for those unable to drive according to weather conditions?

Did you miss the bit about them working better whenever the temp is below 7 degrees?

Same here. I'd love to be able to practice more in ice though. It would be good if you could have access to those skid pans.

What makes you think you cant?

http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/skid-pan-courses/

Trouble with drivers in this country is they all think they are good.

They would sooner buy tyres when the tyres arnt the weak link,its the driver.

Never got stuck...and only left the road on sheet ice once many years ago at a speed of 5mph.

We don't have much snow in this country so I see them as a waste of money.

Perhaps the money would be better spent on advanced driving lessons for those unable to drive according to weather conditions?

You wouldn't have left the road as easily with winter tyres on your car..as for spending money, using winter tyres makes my summer tyres last longer...

There's not a single weak link. It's not either/or.

Strange because Rolls Royce think exactly the same as I do.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/automobiles/rolls-royce-resurrects-professional-driver-course.html?_r=0

Its not rocket science.Put crap drivers in cars and you get crap driving and accidents.

Have a look out of your windows next time your out.They are everywhere.Some of them even go to the lenths of buying special tyres to mask the fact lol

What makes you think you cant?

http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/skid-pan-courses/

Trouble with drivers in this country is they all think they are good.

They would sooner buy tyres when the tyres arnt the weak link,its the driver.

Would you deliberately avoid having ABS and stability control just because you think you're a good driver?

---------- Post added 15-01-2015 at 14:19 ----------

Strange because Rolls Royce think exactly the same as I do.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/automobiles/rolls-royce-resurrects-professional-driver-course.html?_r=0

Its not rocket science.Put crap drivers in cars and you get crap driving and accidents.

Have a look out of your windows next time your out.They are everywhere.Some of them even go to the lenths of buying special tyres to mask the fact lol

Improved tyre traction (in whatever weather condition) is going to aid both a poor driver and a good driver.

I really don't see what point you're trying to make.

Rolls Royce run training courses, so what?

Edited by Cyclone

Would you deliberately avoid having ABS and stability control just because you think you're a good driver?

---------- Post added 15-01-2015 at 14:19 ----------

Improved tyre traction (in whatever weather condition) is going to aid both a poor driver and a good driver.

I really don't see what point you're trying to make.

Rolls Royce run training courses, so what?

Abs and stability control isn't something I even consider when buying a vehicle.Ive never needed either.If you do then your doing it wrong and should look at avoiding the situation rather than hoping electronics will bail you out.

if you don't have trouble with traction from the tyres you have,why would you need better?

Abs and stability control isn't something I even consider when buying a vehicle.Ive never needed either.If you do then your doing it wrong and should look at avoiding the situation rather than hoping electronics will bail you out.

if you don't have trouble with traction from the tyres you have,why would you need better?

The number of people who can successfully hold a vehicle on the point of wheelslip, and steer as well as manage everything else in an emergency is very very small. That's the reason the EU mandate ABS for all cars and soon for all bikes. A decent ABS and stability system is more than worth it, with the caveat that you can turn the ABS off for deep snow which is the only time that it's not worth having it turned on.

Any car can lock all four wheels if you mash the brake pedal. Ergo, an improvemtn in traction is always desirable to improve stopping performance.

The number of people who can successfully hold a vehicle on the point of wheelslip, and steer as well as manage everything else in an emergency is very very small. That's the reason the EU mandate ABS for all cars and soon for all bikes. A decent ABS and stability system is more than worth it, with the caveat that you can turn the ABS off for deep snow which is the only time that it's not worth having it turned on.

Any car can lock all four wheels if you mash the brake pedal. Ergo, an improvemtn in traction is always desirable to improve stopping performance.

which is why driver training would be a far better prospect than buying tyres.It works in all weathers lol