Winter tyres - recommendations needed

your missing one little detail.Like I said he and you assume you have all the time in the world to sit and be a passenger in a out of control vehicle.

The reality is you wont be on a skid pan when it happens,you will be around other cars,lamposts ,people,trees and houses.

good luck with that lol

That's priceless. When you advocated your "power out of the problem" method on the previous winter tyres thread, it was specifically based on a track situation. You needed to be reminded of other cars, people, trees etc which exist on public roads.

You have a choice,you can sit with your brakes locked sliding towards trouble,like some block heads here suggest or you can,as ive suggested (FWD) turn the steering wheel to the direction you need to go and apply power,which will then pull you the direction you've turned the wheels.

Unless you think on ice or snow you have zero traction then why wouldn't it work?

If you have zero traction then how does anyone get anywhere at all lol

Well if you're going side ways you've already lost traction...how does accelerating get it back?

You have a choice,you can sit with your brakes locked sliding towards trouble,like some block heads here suggest or you can,as ive suggested (FWD) turn the steering wheel to the direction you need to go and apply power,which will then pull you the direction you've turned the wheels.

Unless you think on ice or snow you have zero traction then why wouldn't it work?

If you have zero traction then how does anyone get anywhere at all lol

Once you've lost traction, you have basically no traction. Spinning your wheels is no more likely to change anything than sitting with brakes locked (which no one actually advocated at all).

Speaking physics, it's harder to initially break friction than to keep it broken. So the best way to recover would be to let you wheels turn (have to be pointed in the direction of travel) and then gently steer or apply break, being careful not to exceed the level of grip available and start skidding again.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/newtlaws/Lesson-2/Types-of-Forces

Look up static and sliding (or dynamic) friction.

your missing one little detail.Like I said he and you assume you have all the time in the world to sit and be a passenger in a out of control vehicle.

The reality is you wont be on a skid pan when it happens,you will be around other cars,lamposts ,people,trees and houses.

good luck with that lol

See this link (just one example of very many others) and got to 'recovering from slides in very slippery conditions', there's pictures to help you understand the basics :)

If you do find yourself in an understeer or oversteer situation on a very slippery road try not stamp on the brakes in panic as this can make things worse. In stead, smoothly ease off the throttle and keep the steering pointing in the direction of intended travel. Rapid or harsh driver inputs of any kind should be avoided.

You also need to try and get the driven wheels turning at road speed to regain maximum traction. Press the clutch or flick an automatic into neutral to remove the influence of the engine and help get the wheels rotating at a more natural rate. With luck, this will create vital grip to avoid obstacles and allow you to progressively apply the brakes.

When traction is regained, be prepared to take off the steering lock quickly in order to prevent another slide in the opposite direction. Now apply the brakes smoothly and work out what to do next.

You might also want to then read about understeer, since this is what you are recommending instead of the above. Edited by L00b

"You also need to try and get the driven wheels turning at road speed to regain maximum traction"

I rest my case lol

Do you know the meaning of the expression 'turning at road speed'?

In light of your earlier posts in here, I guess not. It means free-wheeling (i.e. not locked up, not 'faster than' under acceleration either).

You should have explained sooner that you needed help with plain English. Keep digging that hole, Australia can't be far by now and it's summer there atm :hihi:

Roads arnt the only thing ive spent a lot of time driving on so im easy ,how ever you want to do it.

other than that,give me a break.

If you want to make it easy,we could even do it in a 3 ton VAN lol

The Monsal Head trail not to his liking though, only suitable for kids on bikes...

---------- Post added 21-01-2015 at 12:52 ----------

I rest my case lol

LOL :hihi:

it's all a wind up isn't it. You're really 14 and aren't actually allowed on the road even with your pushbike.