Hybrid vehicles question

We have a home charger, and a diesel (Mini) car that has to travel 40 miles 6 days a week.

No matter how I do the sums, the Mini is miles ahead cost wise compared to Hybrid.

If It were even, or slightly more expensive to go green I would do it in a flash.

it could be 3,5,7 time cheaper but at present your still killing to planet compared to a normal same size or bigger car.

We have a home charger, and a diesel (Mini) car that has to travel 40 miles 6 days a week.

No matter how I do the sums, the Mini is miles ahead cost wise compared to Hybrid. If It were even, or slightly more expensive to go green I would do it in a flash.

You could always trying using 30% vegetable oil in your diesel. If you use less than 2500 litres of vegetable oil each year, then there was no duty to pay.

You could always trying using 30% vegetable oil in your diesel. If you use less than 2500 litres of vegetable oil each year, then there was no duty to pay.

i used to do that, but it seem veg oil is now indexed link to fuel lol

For my petrol/electric hybrid using my home charger, £1 a charge, your figures are close to what is achievable.

But here is where they are off target by a country mile. There are several Charging Companies that operate the free charging stations you see up and down the Country. I selected the three Companies with the most charging stations which were, Charge your car, Pod Point and Electric Highway. One of these "big" three have now started charging for your charge, (how long before the rest follow) which is £6 for a 30 minute charge. These ultra fast chargers only give you an 80% charge so as not to damage the battery by ramming it full in a short period. So I now pay £6 for 80% charge which gives me 15 miles, driven ordinarily and 20 driven so gently it's hard to keep up with the traffic flow. Get your coffee ready, sit down and here are the sums, 100 miles at 20 miles per charge is 5 charges, so 5 x £6 = £30 for 100 miles. Or 100 miles at 15 miles per charge is 6.5 charges, so 6.5 x 6 = £39 for 100 miles.

Now 100 miles in ANY diesel car would take 2 gallons or a bigger engine 3 gallons say. So we have at £6 approx a gallon x 2 gallons £12 or £6 a gallon x 3 = £18.

So we have £12 derv or £30 electric. Or £18 derv or £39 electric.

Hope the above is understandable, Charged from home electric is OK, away from your home charger it's a scary cost.

Angel1.

What size battery does your car have? The limited range on electric only makes it pointless to pay to charge it.

What size battery does your car have? The limited range on electric only makes it pointless to pay to charge it.

I don't know the battery size, but you are spot on, charging away from home at £6 a pop is pointless.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 14:49 ----------

The Outlander hybrid has a 12kWh battery.

It's a pity there isn't scope to spec larger batteries for plug-in's, I'm sure people would be up for it.

Thanks for that, I had no idea of battery size.

Wonder how the Tessla does a reputed 250 miles per charge,

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

A 60 to 100 kWh battery to start with, so that's 5 to 8 times the size of yours.

You get 15 miles, so 5 times that would only be 75, but the Tesla doesn't drag around an ICE adding weight.

The small battery hybrids are more about recovering energy I thought and having a boost available, and maybe short journeys on electric only, whereas the larger batteried cars can actually make a reasonable journey on electric only.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 15:50 ----------

Is this your car anglefire?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/mitsubishi/outlander-phev-2014

Official 148.0 mpg

Actual (reported by people) 67.8 mpg